one |

[i recommend listening to
'never waste a girl's time' by 'frumhere']
—play on repeat—

one - phone call

tuesday

h u n t e r

"hello?"
"yes, this is she"
"no, absolutely not"
"no–"
"but we only jus–"
"we'll see you friday, 12am"

we tried leaving. that's what we get for trying to leave.
a new job, a larger job.

we normally work just the three of us, it's more effective that way but no, two other people.

we do not work with other people.

"she called again" i say pulling up a chair at our table.

"but–but i thought we—"

"no caleb we've got a job" i say facing the both of them, also sat at the table.

"what? why?" jayden questions narrowing her eyebrows sharply at me.

"you fucking tell me" i snap back.

she huffs getting up and walking out of the black and white kitchen.

"we're working with other people too!" i shout through the door which nearly closes behind her, making it just about audible.

"what the fuck? nah" she says bursting back in.

"what we never do that" caleb says standing up.

"right well it wasn't my choice was it?" i say, annoyance prominent in my voice. "apparently it's a 'harder job' than we've ever done before" i reply imitating speech marks with my fingers.

"whatever. when?" jayden asks, leaning in the door frame.

"friday"

friday

we get into the car, feeling apathetic to actually leave. i start the ignition, before slowly pulling out of the gravel drive way.

"i have a really uneasy feeling about this whole working-with-other-people thing" caleb leans forward, his head poking through the two front seats of the mercedes.

"yeah, second that" jayden says resting her feet on the dash board, as she stops inspecting her nails.

"i know" i can't help but let out a sigh full of stress, "me too".

i continue to drive through the dark streets, once lit up by street lamps; now there's nothing more than the headlights of the car.

we reach the usual office.

although, it's not any ordinary office. from the outside it looks like another busted building, like the rest of them around this part of town, but no.

the chipped brick and spray paint are all a mask to the inside—multimillionaire meeting spot.

i park around the back, not wanting to leave such an expensive car in an area with such high risks. we all exit the vehicle, practically closing the doors in unison as we ready ourselves for what we're about to walk into.

but quite frankly, i don't think anything could prepare us. if we're being told that we need extra help after 6 years of working together, i can already feel my heart beating in my throat.

<3