twenty three |

[i recommend listening to
'nervous (acoustic)' by 'gavin james']
—play on repeat—

twenty three  -  shot after shot

h u n t e r

i take a seat at the booth and it's all very quiet.

i can't tell if he just wants to be alone; i know deep down, even if he doesn't say it, he doesn't want to be.

"we'll find him, river." i build up the courage to speak.

"you can't say that," he shakes his head "you don't know that." he looks out the large glass window to his left, watching the rare passing of a car driving.

"don't underestimate jayden, you know she will not like that." i let out a breathy laugh, trying to lighten his mood, although it didn't really help. "not only that, do you really think she'll let anything happen to him?"  i raise my brow high as i look at him across the table.

"you're not wrong but i..." he just stops speaking.

"just talk to me. please. " i reach my hand out and grip his arm, which is resting on the table, reassuring him.

"i can't lose him, hunter. i can't do this without kai. " he looks at me with nothing but hurt in his bloodshot eyes. there's no anger, just pain.

the sight alone brings a lump to my throat, "i know." i look down to the red polished table as i remove my hand from his arm and begin to fiddle my fingers.

however, river reaches over the table and grips my hand, "can we just drive somewhere?" he asks.

"right now?" i ask, confused.

"yes, cmon" he keeps ahold of my hand as he stands up from the booth, bringing me along with him and out the doors.

"where are we going?" i ask inquisitively.

"you'll have to see." he says with a straight face.

"river, we have separate cars you'll have to tell me." i emphasised my concern, pointing to my car across the parking lot.

"let's just leave it, we'll come back and collect it sometime and you can surprise me with a trip." he grins, leading the way to his car.

heading out the parking lot, little street lamps are dotted along the road lighting it slightly. although very intrigued, i don't ask any questions i just let him drive.

going off road a little, i'm well and truly disoriented.
i don't have a single idea as to where we are.

he slows down as we go up hill and river stops at what looks like an overhang. i can't really see much considering we're parked up in a bunch of trees.

"right close your eyes." he says so calmly after we exit the car.

"what?! you're mad." i laugh.

"do you trust me?" his hands grip on the tops of my arms as if to guide me from behind.

"yes."