twenty four |

[i recommend listening to
'better days' by 'bensoud']
—play on repeat—

twenty four - ask, wish and pray

h u n t e r

jayden is waiting for kai in a different ward, since he's got a better chance at surviving.
the nurse's voice saying that, just seems to be on a loop in my head.

all i can do is sit in this damned hospital wishing it was me that got shot.
it should've been me.

he's saved me in more than one way and all i want to do is thank him.

there's still too many things i want to say to him, things i need him to know.

within such a short time of knowing him he's taught me so much. and honestly, without being able to tell him that...
well that'd just destroy me.

+t h i r d p e r s o n

the dreaded voices echoed from the once peaceful
room. no longer a quiet place for him to rest and return back.

"he's flatlining. he's flatlining..."

words thrown around as the chaos booms and the voices pierce the, no longer silent, air.

"the defibrillator."

words coming from left, right and center as he fights for his last breath.
nothing seems to be working.

nothing.

everything a blur, just questioning whether it's time she accepts the inevitable or holds onto that string of hope.
but she refuses to accept it, she shouldn't refuse.

because the hope clung onto so vigorously will only come to attack so mercilessly.

the voices didn't stop, they didn't stop.

he didn't stop.

but then it echoed, like the most god-awful noise ringing and repeating but it doesn't sink in.

"time of death: 1:46am
date of death: sunday september 26th

patient: river lee jamoré."

then, silence.
the chaos gone, the voices gone, his heart beat...gone.

everything once so loud and obnoxious, then nothing but realisation.

without a glimpse of warning, she felt her heart hurt so deeply she could swear it broke, in which it's an excruciating pain. her eyes fill to the brim with tears, then they gush and it's as though they may never stop.

—flashback

as quickly as i possibly can, i pull my sleeve up my hand in a slick motion, before swiping it under my eye. collecting the loose teardrop, i let the slightly dampened material fall back to my wrist and then hang back by my side.

"hey, you okay?" river's head swivels as he asks me such a question, catching me off guard.

"yeah, i'm fine"