fourteen |

[i recommend listening to
'starlight' by 'jai wolf']
—play on repeat—

fourteen - city

m o m e n t s   l a t e r

h u n t e r

"wanna talk about it?" i ask river.

"it's fine, really" he says shifting his attention away from me again.

"river stop lying," i feel like even if i can't help myself i could at least help him. "talk to me"

"not here." he reply's "like pizza?" he blurts randomly.

"yes," i laugh "why?"

"let's go, i know a place" he stands up and signals for me to follow him.

just before we reach the door, i turn around "you guys okay here for a little while?" i ask.

"why? where are you going?" jasmine asks spitefully.

"out." i bluntly reply before following river out to the cars.

"your choice" he says about the range of cars outside.

"but you never let me" i let out a breathy laugh.

"well i am now, choose before i change my mind" he smirks at me before looking at the array of cars.

"alright, alright" i say before getting the keys for the matte black convertible porsche.

"nice" i hear him mutter as we enter, chucking him the keys since he's driving.

after putting my seat belt on, i check my phone to see the time.

22:23
is what reads at the top.

we started work later today so the sky is pitch black.
we set off into the night in a comfortable silence.

"shall i put the top down?" river turns to me with a cheeky grin.

"it's fucking freezing outside, are you nuts?" my eyes widen at his question.

"only a little" he leans to the back and grabs a stray hoodie, it looks like he left there, and hands it to me.

before i even have a chance to put it on, the top of the car begins to disappear.

i must admit, even though cold, the view is spectacular. as we drive through the outskirts of the city, the lights on in every building seem to shine that little bit brighter.

"you always watch them don't you?" he turns to me slightly, before focusing on the road again.

"what?" i simply ask as i pull the blue champion hoodie over my head, his rich scent washing over me.

"the buildings, the lights" he shocks me from the attention he clearly paid me.

"yeah...i do" i reply almost confused that he noticed.

"i get it," he says "the city is never truly asleep, it's almost reassuring. the lights shine through the darkness when you can't see any stars and the sun has gone" he pauses, "i just find it fascinating. you can get lost watching the city from all its heights and angles."

i was taken back by how he's describing it. it came out of nowhere.

"it's like even though your mind can be the busiest thing, it can also be the darkest...i don't know" he sort of shrugs after finishing, but i think it's crazy how he says all these things; like he's reading my mind. it was deep—something i didn't really expect from him.

it's like he's taking the words straight from my mouth. it's crazy and it's scary. i think i've been so afraid to feel any sort of emotion towards another person, i've missed the fact that my heavy worries seem to lighten when i'm with him.

"i agree. it feels like my private place where i can just think" i say fiddling with my fingers, nervous because i've never really told anyone that sort of thing.

not to mention, hearing river describe every aspect so crisp and clear, it was truly perfect. i feel like he understands and i pity him so much if that's the case.

we pull up outside a rustic pizza place which seems very homely.

entering the building, it's automatically a comfortable atmosphere. the warm tone lights hang low at a bar in front of the entrance.

we walk over to one of the little red booths in the corner. river slides in, in front of me.

i take a deep breath in before talking, "what's up? seriously what's up, none of this 'i'm fine bullshit' "

"i don't even know anymore" he says shaking his head, "i guess it's just—"

he's about to speak when a waitress comes over asking us what we'd like to order.

whatever he was about to say seems to have been distressing him, it's annoying he was cut off.

"hunter, you wanna order?" ethan asks me as if they'd been talking to me but i'd zoned out.

"oh..yeah. just a coke, thanks."

<3