Chapter 8: A Stressful Relationship

I tossed myself onto my bed. I grabbed my pillow and cried over it. I can't believe I agreed to go. What an awful idea! His father won't accept me just because my mother was evil. I whiped the tears off my face and sat down. My mother would always say," Crying doesn't solve your problems."

There was a note on the floor, it read:

Raven, I apologize for not being here. I had to go to another Royal Student Council meeting. By the way, the meeting is about you. I hope you know what I am talking about er- i mean, writing about.

- Apple

I sighed. Is everyone against me?

"Raven, it's Cupid. Could you please open?"

I did as requested.

"Your boyfriend is looking for you," she said sheepishly. I noticed that she almost choked on the word boyfriend. 

"I know he is," I said gloomly.

She sat down next to me.

"Do you want to talk about it?" she asked. She smiled faintly.

I nodded. I told her about the dinner, how the King was disgusted by my appearence, and how the Queen was nice to me.

She patted me on the back.

"Sometimes, you've got to let your heart desire and ignore others," she said.

"It's hard to when you're trying to impress the best king who ever lived."

"You shouldn't try to. Why impress his father, if you should impress the one your heart desires," she replied.

"I guess that's true," I mummbled.

"That's the spirit!" she exclaimed.

"Ooh! Are you hungry? I brought a heart shaped sugar cookie," she squealed.

She took out a folded pink napkin out of her pocket.

"Oh, no thanks. I already had dinner."

"If you say so," she said. She unfolded the napkin, shrugged her shoulders, and took a tiny bite out of the cookie.

I heard people shouting outside. I got up and peered down the balcony. I heard Cupid gasp next to me.

There was an angry mob of students right below the balcony. A couple of them had a picket sign of my face next to Dexter's face crossed out with red paint. Other students had signs saying: Stop Out-Of-Book Romance!

They stopped screaming. Then, Blondie yelled," You dating a royal is just not right!"

"Yeah!" the group of students yelled.

"My brother deserves to be with a royal, not a pesky rebel!"

"Yeah!" the students yelled back.

"Off with her head!" Lizzie shouted. She pointed her scepter at me.

"Umm..." a couple of students said, not truly agreeing with her.

"Ugh! But Ashlynn and Hunter are doing the same thing!" I yelled.

"We know, but like Ashlynn already signed the book so they will break up!" Briar yelled. Her eyes began to close and she fell down. Luckily, Daring was behind her so, he caught her. She started to snore softly.

"Can't we all follow our true heart?" Cupid asked.

"No! Unless you want to crush everyone's story just like how Raven did!" Duchess yelled.

They kept on shouting.

I plopped on my bed and put on my headphones to ignore them.

Apple barged open the door.

I took off my headphones.

She was breathing heavily.

"Raven-I-tried-to-stop-them" she said, stopping between each word took take a breath.

"Was this supposed to be the Royal Student Council meeting?" I asked.

She nodded.

"Where's Dex?" I asked.

"Oh, I think he is in the Enchanted Forest," she said.

"I'll be right back," I said.

I ran down the stairs. I tripped on one of the steps. I tumbled down the remaining steps.

I pushed open the school door and ran to the forest.

"Dexter!" I yelled.

A flock of birds flew away from the trees as my voice echoed throughout the Enchanted Forest.

The bushes behind me rustled. Nevermore popped out.

"Hey girl," I said.

She nuzzled her nose on my cheek.

"Oh, hey, have you seen Dexter? You know, the one who has the pet jackalope," I asked.

She stopped to think for a momment. Her face lit up. She pointed with her tail, to a hollow tree that was a bit far.

"Thank you," I said. I pet her head.

Why would he be here by himself? I wondered.

I heard him softly sing a part from my favorite Tailor Quick song:

There you go again today Slaying dragons, vaulting walls, battling goblin hordes alone.

"There you are!" I yelled as I  jumped out in front of him.

He flinched. "Woah... Rav- I mean you- uh-" he cleared his throat. "You uh, scared me. And I was um, singing the same song as last time."

I giggled. "That's because that's our song," I said.

He smiled and smoothed his hair back. He still had that cowlick that I always thought was cute. He closed his eyes and puckered his lips. I quickly put my hand on his lips to block the kiss. He opened his eyes and leaned back.

"Why did you do that?" he asked while adjusting his glasses.

"Look, I'm sorry. It's just that there are so many people that are against us dating. I really like you but, I just don't want people to ruin your royal status. I care about you, Dex, and I really want you to have a spelltacular story," I said.

My eyes were red and watery. One of my tears spilled on his jeans.

"You are too beautiful to cry," he said smiling to me. He put his hand on my cheek. "And I don't care what people say, I just want to be with you."

"I just don't see how this is going to work out. We have to break up," I said. Another tear landed on the grass.

He sighed. "If it is how it is supposed to be then, I guess we should."

"I knew you would understand," I said.

"Wait, before anything, can I do something quick?" he asked

"Sure," I replied

He quickly pressed his lips against mine. I looked at him in surprise.

"Now we are going to be friends. Okay?," I said.

"Okay."

"Friends?"

"Friends."

He took me back to my dorm and hugged me.

"Goodbye," I said.

"Bye."

I shut the door and layed on my bed, thinking about what I'd done.