chapter six

unknown

There was so much weight on her that she could barely breathe. The weight was familiar. The soft snores familiar, but without opening her eyes she knew she was in a new place. Soft bed with clean sheets. A window was opened, and a gentle breeze danced about the room.

After this last attack, it was strange to be waking with even a sliver of peace but there was just a hint of it inside of her. Whatever Kell had been going through, it was gone now. He was back to his problem free life.

Jess tried to shift the weight off her, but Julian's embrace only tightened.

He was asleep. His dark eye lashes fanning his cheeks. His hair a wild disarray.

The dark circles under his eyes didn't go unnoticed. She could barely remember the last few days, but they must have been really hard on him.

"It's good to see you awake. I feared I would find you otherwise. For eternity." The stranger at the door smiled a little.

She'd already decided that wherever they were, they were safe. Psycho killers didn't have rooms like this one, but if she had any fears, they would have died the moment he smiled at her. He had a kind smile. Kind golden brown eyes. It hadn't even been that good of a joke, but he made her want to smile back at him.

Her peaceful feeling grew.

The closer he came, the more it grew.

He was handsome in a hardworking, normal guy way but that wasn't the reason. It was like he gave off an all is well vibe.

Which made no sense, so Jess gave her head a shake.

He reached his hand out towards her forehead. "Do you mind?"

Her heart skipped a beat at the thought, but she shook her head no.

After feeling her forehead, his smile grew. "Very little fever. That's good. I suppose you're not going to die after all. How do you feel?"

"Fine."

His smile softened and damn if she didn't catch herself staring at his lips. He had a very nice smile.

"I'm Adrian."

"I knew that. I mean, I think I did." She stuttered.

"I'm not surprise. Last night your friend finally succumbed to exhaustion, so I sat with you for a time. I tried to get him to go rest but he wouldn't leave your side. I don't think I ever saw him so much as let go of your hand."

"He worries about me."

"Yes, he does. You're lucky to have each other. In this day and age that's a gift beyond imagine. I'll leave____."

"Wait! I mean.... where are you going?"

The smile reached his eyes. "Not far. Try to get some more rest. If it's possible with him laying on top of you. I'll bring you some food soon."

"Thank you."

"Please tell me you were not flirting with some other guy while I'm right here, actually laying on top of you."

"I wasn't flirting." Nervously, she checked to make sure the door was shut, and no one had heard that crap.

"Yeah, right."

"Where are we?"

"Hell, if I know. The first day we hid out in a tiny store in town, then one morning this guy was doing some shopping like he didn't even see us camping out. Before he left, he offered us a place to stay."

"So, we just went home with a stranger?"

"Yeah well, we're alive, aren't we? He's the nicest looking person we've seen in a while. It was a good decision too. That first night the dude fed me some chicken rice soup and I swear it was the best thing I ever ate. Until last night. Pork chops, Jess. God, it was good."

Her voice went small. "You ate a pork chop without me?"

He chuckled and rolled off her. He didn't go far. "You look good, baby. This one was a bad one. Reminded me of days three and four."

"Me too."

"Want to talk about it?"

"Nope. Want to forget all of it." She caught his cheek so that her thumb could brush the darkness under his eye. "Sorry you have to put up with me."

"Our host thinks I'm crazy. I wouldn't let go of you to even go to the restroom. You jump, I jump."

Jess grimaced. "I don't want to know how that worked."

"About how you would think." He yawned and let his eyes close. "He said we could stay as long as we like. I think we need at least a day or two. What do you think?"

"My legs are agreeing with you. I don't think I could walk right now if I wanted to."

"Rest baby. Food will be coming soon." His hand tightened around hers. "You won't go anywhere, will you?"

"Not without you." She promised.