chapter twentysix

unamended

If they thought taking away her thin blanket was going to get to her, they were sadly mistaken. The cold floor felt good against her busted up cheek. Her swollen hand.

The first three hits had been all them but after that she wouldn't be who she was if she hadn't fought back.

A fat lot of good it had done her. The big one had laughed at her, so had the small one until Jess caught her in the mouth with her fist.

Fuck that had hurt but it had been well worth it to draw blood. Well worth it to wipe that smile off the alien tard's face.

She didn't know how many days ago that was. They had thrown her into this room, and she'd been here ever since. The only time she saw someone else was when someone remembered to feed her and when someone showed up to play with her.

These damn rat tards thought that it was fun seeing how hard they had to hit her in order to knock themselves out. Fucking stupid, dumbass.

They were so dumb they probably killed off all their men before they realized they needed them. Purple bleeding son of a bitches.

So here she laid, on the freezing cold floor in a room that was metal and had no comforts to speak of. Definitely no damn toilet.

She had a lot of worse things to worry about. For starters, that she was going to die right here where she was laying. She could live with that if she had to but what she couldn't live with is not taking that fucking bitch who started all this with her.

Groaning led to nearly coughing to death, but she managed to roll over then eventually sit up.

She didn't know enough cuss words to tell you how much she hated these fucking aliens.

Exactly when did her life go to hell in a hand basket?

Oh, that's right, the advisors. Some more fucking aliens. Those four dickweeds were at the top of her to kill, murder, and maimed list. At least tiny, itty, bitty and no dick had some brains. At least she could respect them for trying to do what they thought was best for their prince. These new dumbasses could barely think their way out of a room.
When the door open, she didn't bother looking up. If these Neanderthal women wanted to whip her ass again, they could do it with her sitting right here. It hadn't stopped them the last time when she'd barely been conscious.

When the leg in front of her didn't rare back to kick her, she finally looked up.

Jai went to his knees in front of her.

"Jai, you shouldn't be here. Go before they catch you."

He didn't say anything, just looked at her sadly before he handed her a piece of diedo and a small cup of water.

Tears filled her eyes. How fucking bad off was she that a small piece of hard bread and some water could bring tears to her eyes?

"Thank you. I know you don't have a lot to spare."

Eating was hard enough to do so she soaked it in the water before she even tried to get it down. She ate as quickly as she could then she handed the cup back to him. "You should go now and Jai, don't come back. I won't have them hurting you because of me."

Jess knew he couldn't understand anything she said so she reached out and touch his arm softly. Telling him with a kind touch how much she appreciated his help.

The next friendly face she saw was Will's. Though he didn't look very friendly at the time. He looked sad.

"I don't know where to touch you without hurting you. Here, let me help you sit up."

"How did you find me? Did I miss our meeting?"

"Your little friend showed me where you were." Using his body to hold her up, he offered her a few sips of water. "That was days ago. You don't remember, Karza?"

"I remember Karza. You said I was a beautiful rock. Do I look broken yet?"

His voice softened. "No, Karza. Drink a little more. I tried to find some medicine, but these damn women like to be hurt. It's a show of honor to have wounds."

"Then I must be the worthiest of them all. Worthiest, I forget, is that a word?"

"It is, you are, and that's the pudding talking."

"You told me not to eat the pudding." She reminded him as she started to play with his chin.

"That was before I saw how much pain you were in."

"I'm going to come to our meeting and hope that you have news on Julian. I really need to find him."

"Karza, you've been in here nearly two weeks. This is my third trip to see you. I've been waiting for them to get tired of you. They will, we just have to wait them out. You must be strong. Once they are tired of you, they'll leave you down here to die and then I will get you out of here. I'll find a way to hide you. They are already visiting you less."

"Two weeks? Julian?"

"I might have found him. There's a human that was given to one of the weaker women because he's not immune. She keeps him all to herself and hardly leaves his side. That's got to be him. I've seen all the other humans. Your little friend Jai can get in places that would amaze you. No one pays any attention to him."

"Julian."

"I'm going to find him for you, Karza. I'm going to get you out of here too."

She stopped playing with his big ears so that she could look at him. "Why are you being so nice? Why are you helping me? My own mate didn't want me. He's not here."

"He's an imbecile."

"Imbecile? Is that a real word?"

When he smiled, she reached out to play with his lips.

"When I come back, I'll wing you off the pudding and bring you some real food."

"Real food? It's been so long since I've had real food. I miss pizza. And chocolate ding dongs. And boudin. And Aunt Sarah's green beans. William, if you see Kell or my dad could you tell them to stay away? I don't like it when they come to visit."