chapter thirtythree

unstable

Three of them entered and took in the changes, the fourth one never lifted his head.

The sight of these four men sadden him. He had trusted them. Believed in what they stood for.

"What is the meaning of this?" Birkett demanded of the changes. "Why are these three here?"

"By what authority did you have the right to keep us condemned to our rooms? I demand an explanation immediately." Klax nearly spit the words out.

"If you have mated then we should have been notified immediately. The human Hayden is not even of age yet. There is an order and a process in which we live by. Do you not care about any of our values?"

After a nod from Kellum, Jetidi stood. "When speaking to your king you will use the respect that is his by rights. Bow to your king."

"If he was king then we would have been informed through the proper channels."

"Even if there is proof, there are steps to take. A ceremony before he can take his rightful place."

"Normally, that would be true." Kellum agreed as calmly as he could. "Dezrick."

"Proof has been collected and filed. A new king has taken his place and there are none who can dispute his position. King Kellum the two hundredth and twenty-first king of Syrian and last king of Syrian has taken his place and will rein with his queen and new rulers at his side until his death. All personnel of government, royal, and guards should bow upon entering a room where the king or queen are present and will only rise when given permission."

"There cannot be a ceremony without the four of us present."

"Normally, that would be true." He replied once again.

Jetidi waited for another nod then rose again. "Bow to your king or you will be escorted from his presence."

Demetruisu bowed first, quickly followed by Savion. Birkett and Klax were slow to follow.

"You may rise." They all did but not one of them bother to look him in the eyes. Could they finally be feeling the shame they should be feeling?

He wasted no time in getting to the heart of the matter. "You have been charged with treason and found guilty. You will be given a chance to state your case, but I would advise you to tread lightly and choose your words wisely. Advisor Demetrious, did you not on several occasion wipe my memories?"

The older man's hands shook so badly that he hid them behind his back. "We did."

"Advisor Birkett, did you not on several occasions implant me false memories?"

"We did but you were not king yet. Treason was not committed."

"Advisor Klax, did you not send a young girl from her home and family to live outside gates of our protection? And did you not do this in secrecy of your future king and your committees?"

"We did. Some might see this as.... distasteful but I will say it again. It was not treason. We offer her a deal, and she took it."

Kellum frowned. "What deal was that?"

Klax was a hard ass but instead of answering he paled.

"Dezrick?"

"If the human Jessalynn left the protection of the cities then we would not abandon her people to the aliens that are on the way."