chapter thirtysix

unarmed

Julian had his forehead pressed to the wall as he hit it.

Jess walked up behind him and wrapped her arms around his waist. He turned and held her tight. "How could I be so wrong about her?"

"Damn aliens suck. Are you okay? Should I go back and kill her?"

"Later. Let's get the hell out of here."

"I can't go until I know some others are safe. Let me get you to____."

"I'm not going anywhere without you."

She smiled softly and hugged him tighter. "I was hoping you would say that. Stay close."

Turning she flipped off Kellum then her and Julian were standing in one of the holding cells. An empty holding cell but they could hear fighting going on in the area where all the slaves were fed.

"I have to find William and Jai. Come on."

It was utter chaos. Not only was everyone fighting this wasn't just any regular fight scene. There were sword fights and laser shots everywhere. Nearby there were some beings who hovered above the ground as they fought, and they used wood pieces that shot out of their fingers.

Seeing a huge raour hit the ground and one of Kellum's people wrap her wrist together in a clear wrap, Julian pulled her in that direction. "Coca, what are the orders?"

"Capture and detain." The white hair guy frowned in their direction then went back to fighting those around him.

Julian grabbed the sword at his feet.

"You know how to use one of those?"

"Not all of us skip training." When someone attacked him, he pushed Jess behind him and joined the fighting.

Wasn't that swell? And damn if he didn't look hot.

Keeping him in sight, she searched for anyone else she knew. She knew Kellum was here, but she was ignoring him, and she knew Zonsonee was close. She could feel him too.

Seeing Tarmer go down, Jess flashed to her side. She had a large slash in her side, and she was bleeding heavily.

Without the collar on, Jess couldn't understand a thing the girl was saying.

"I'm going to help you." The only way she could think to do that was to get her to help.

"Is the barrier down?" She didn't even know where Kellum was, but she had a feeling he would be close since she'd been ordered to stay with him.

"It is."

"Stay close to Julian." She ordered then she found herself somewhere she hadn't been in months. Somewhere she'd never wanted to come back to. Kellum's room. It still looked the same.

Jess helped Tamar onto the counter. "Dez, get her some help in here. She's a good guy."

"Right away."

She hoped her soft smile helped the other girl realize she would be safe here, then she was gone again.

She found herself doing this time and time again. Either transporting beings who were injured or just getting the ones not fighting to safety.

Every chance she got she checked up on Julian but so far, she hadn't found William or Jai. She was pretty sure she had found Zonsonee. If she wasn't mistaken, he was the white tiger who attacked anything that got too close to her.

There was also a white wolf and a white ape running around.

Jess went to Kellum as he was putting some clear wrap around two men who were not raours. They already had some clear wrap covering their mouths. "I do not know if they are good or not, but they are dangerous. They spit

acid."

"Dez, can you get a location on William?"

Kellum stood and covered her with his shield just in time. Frowning and radiating anger he turned towards the intruder with murderous intent.

"I believe he is in the next room. He seems to be trying to coax something out of the walls."

Relieved, Jess headed in that direction. It took her longer than she wished but that didn't stop her excitement when she saw him.

"Karza, I've been unable to find him. I've___."

"It's okay. I'll find him." She took him to safety. "Stay here and help with______."

"I'd rather stay with you."

Jess grinned. "You're a lover not a fighter, remember? I'll be fine. Dezrick, take care of him for me."

Winking, she left him in Kellum's room.

By the time it was clear they were going to win, she couldn't have told you how many trips back and forth she'd made. Thank God she wasn't weak and too sick to help. Having Kellum around wasn't all torture and the urge to vomit. Physically, she was feeling better than she had in a long time.

Finally finding Jai located in one of the groups being detained, Jess went to him and hugged him. "It's going to be okay. You're safe now." She removed the clear wrap from his hands that was sort of like glue holding his hands together but didn't stick to her at all. Reaching around his thin neck, she freed him from his collar too.

"Jessalynn, we are not removing those until____."

"Nonsense. He's just a kid and I know him."

As soon as he was free, he smiled and wrapped his thin arms around her waist.

She started to smirk in Kellum's direction but then he was gone.

Or she was gone since now she stood in a smaller room that instantly lit up in several colors and a giant round screen rose out of the floor.

Jai gave her one last hug before he moved from her side and went to the giant screen.

Okay, she had a bad feeling about this. There was no way she was still on that other spaceship because it wasn't hard to see that this one was way more advance.

"Jai, did you do this?"

Whatever language he spoke it was soft ahhs and ohhs. She didn't understand it but apparently this ship did. More lights came on and more round screens appeared.

When she tried to transport out of there it didn't work.

Crap on a stick.