deux | two

»Vous êtes un force de motivation positive dans ma vie«

»You're a positive motivating force within my life«

Back to present

"I think you might be pregnant."

"Those six words ran through my head like a fire alarm. I didn't want to believe that I was going to become someone's mother. I was only twenty two years old and wasn't ready to have a baby." 

June 20th, 1992

"No, I can't be." I kept denying something I already knew was true.

"Maybe you should take a pregnancy test." Rozonda suggested. "Yeah, I guess."

"C'mon, we'll go with you." We all grabbed our shoes and Lisa drove us to the nearest pharmacy. "Excuse me? Where are your most accurate pregnancy tests?'' I asked the lady at the register.

"The most accurate ones are in the back." She smiled at me and pointed towards the back. "Thank you." I smiled back and walked towards the back. I took the two most expensive but proven to be accurate pregnancy tests and paid for them. Both of them gave the results in thirty minutes so I won't have to wait long.

"Where the hell are these girls at?" Lisa, Tionne, and Rozonda basically disappeared in the store. It isn't even that big to get lost in.

"Damn we eating good tonight!" Lisa yelled from behind me holding plenty of chips and two big bottles of Coca cola. "Li, diabetes is gonna come knocking like Jehovah's witness if we don't stop this habit." Rozanda laughed.

They all paid for their unnecessary items and we left the pharmacy. "So, did you get it?" Tionne asked me as we went back to Lisa's house. "Yeah, I'm so damn nervous. What if I am pregnant?" Rozonda gave me a hug to comfort me.

"Don't worry Carmen, I'm sure you'd be a dope ass mom. But we won't know if you'd be a mom in the first place if you don't take the test." She shook the box. "Right. I'll be right back."

I ran to the bathroom, opened both of the boxes and tried my best to pee on them. After I was done, I washed my hands and came back out to wait. Many thoughts ran through my mind. What if I am pregnant? What would I do? I can barely manage by myself, not to mention taking care of a whole living being.

"How long has it been?" I asked getting even more anxious than I already was. Tionne checked the time. "Uh..." she dragged on. "I can't read analog clocks."