vingt quatre | twenty four

»Côte à côte et cœur à cœur, le temps révèle que nous sommes toujours amoureux pour toujours«

»Side by side and heart to heart, time reveals that we're still in love forever«

DeVanté

"Are you sure you're not able to bring her back?"

"I'm sure. I'm sorry, Mr. Degrate, but your fiancee has expired." The doctor told me after a few hours after the car accident that changed my life forever. He broke the news to me that Carmen, the love of my life, had passed away shortly after we both were rushed to the hospital. I don't understand how I ended up without a scratch, yet Carmen was the one who had to lose her life. I have a vivid memory of the crash, the exact moment she lost her life...

Hours Earlier...

"Oh shit!" I shouted, attempting to steer the car to another direction. While doing so, I accidentally drove into a ditch, flipping to car in the process. I had my eyes shut tight, but to my amazement, I was fine. I smiled at the miracle that I wasn't injured. "Damn, wasn't that shit cra–" I halted my sentence the second I saw Carmen with glass from the wind shield shot into her neck and face. Blood dripping onto her entire body, resembling a homicide scene.

"Oh fuck!" I screeched at the top of my lungs. I opened the car door and jetted to her side to pull her body out of the car. I had hope that there was still time to save her life.

"Carmen! Carmen, baby! Wake up for me, please! Don't leave me, not now!" I shook her gently, hot tears trickling down my cheeks. I couldn't breathe properly due to the fact that my airways were closing because of me breaking into tears. That didn't matter to me, the only thing that mattered at the moment was Carmen's ability to live. I carefully started to pick the pieces of glass out of her neck, thinking that this was going to help her somehow.

Thankfully, she started to cough, making my face light up. Her eyes fluttered opened, their usual twinkle now dim. I thought Carmen was going to make it out alive. Sadly, she knew that that wasn't going to be the outcome.

"De..." Carmen trailed on before coughing out large amounts of blood. "I'm not going to make it."

"Baby, don't say that! You're going to be okay, alright?! You're one of the strongest women I've ever met, you can get through this!."

"I'll always love you, Donald." Carmen whispered. Seconds later, her eyes slowly rolled to the back of her head.  A single breath swept past her lips, letting me know that it was going to be her last. I instantly held her tighter than I already was.

"No!" I screamed in internal pain. As painful as this makes me feel, I still had hope that she'd live. I carefully placed Carmen's lifeless body on the ground, and went back to the car to search for my phone. Since I'm not skilled in this type of stuff, I figured the ambulance could at least do something.