Chapter 13

Emma was woken from her restless slumber by the sound of whispering.

"Yeah she slept fine," came the groggy voice of Elizabeth.

"And you?" Carmen asked.

"The couch wasn't as comfy as I remember, but I'm fine." Emma faked her sleep not wanting to face either of them right now. "Can you get her in to the stroller ok?"

"Yeah I think I can manage." With that Emma felt herself being lifted as Carmen grunted and plopped down into another chair, quickly she felt straps going around her crotch and her chest and the five point harness of the large green stroller Carmen had wheeled in for her was strapped around her.

     The stroller was actually only a little larger than a similar design made for toddlers, thought it was a little sturdier to help hold the extra weight. It was also a little more secure with a strong back and five point harness that kept the occupant secured inside unable to lean forward very much.

"I know you're awake Emma," Carmen sighed. Emma stopped her acting and looked away. "I get that you may not feel like talking to me, but making me lug you around is not the best way to get me in a good mood."

"Showwy," Emma apologized through the pacifier gag she had worn to bed.

"She's probably wet too," Elizabeth sighed. Emma nodded in confirmation, though in truth her soggy diaper wasn't really a concern to her. The three of them made their way out into the hall and toward an elevator. Carmen pushing Emma as Elizabeth yawned, neither of them talking to Emma. They rode the elevator down and made their way back into the large central room. Lucy was in a similar stroller by the large desk talking and giggling with one of the staff.

"Thanks Rita," Elizabeth yawned as she grabbed Lucy's stroller.

"No problem," The woman said with a smile. "Don't be a stranger I'm sure Chris would love to meet the new little in town."

"If she's ever allowed outside again," Elizabeth said angrily.

"Well if she is stop on by," The group moved on down the hallway that lead to the large crib room, Emma wincing at Elizabeth's comments. A tense air hung around everyone as they all seemed to be angry at each other, including Lucy who Emma couldn't help but notice seemed to be bearing a grudge against Carmen and Elizabeth.

"I'll change Emma," Carmen said quickly. "You get Lucy into her car seat and rest for a bit." Elizabeth wordlessly complied. The group exited out of a door at the back of the large crib room and into a small parking lot. They headed toward a blue minivan. Elizabeth wheeled Lucy's stroller to the rear driver's side and opened it up. Peering inside Emma could see two identical car seats. These were similar to the strollers except fastened to the car. Unlike traditional booster seats for children it seems the seats of the car itself were modified to accommodate it as sticking the booster seat on top of the regular seat would leave Emma and Lucy hitting their heads on the roof of the car. Aside from this fact they were identical to booster seats except that they were larger, and like the stroller more secure. The occupant similarly would be unable to lean forward all that much while inside it.