Chapter 27

Elizabeth began unstrapping Emma from her car seat, they were in the parking lot outside of central. Emma was nervous, she hadn't heard from her mysterious friend since she sent the signal out the night before, she could only assume that the girl had received it.

"Don't be so nervous dear it'll be fine I promise," Elizabeth cooed, again misplacing Emma's nervousness to the conversation the two were scheduled to have later that day. "Wait here while I get your sister." Elizabeth moved to the other side of the car and began releasing Lucy from her car seat. For some reason Lucy had insisted on coming too, Emma could guess why. She thought she had made her contact rather discretely, but it was hard to hide anything from Lucy since the two were together almost all of the time.

     Once Lucy was free Elizabeth connect the harnesses the two girls wore to a singular lead so she could maintain control of the two easier.

"Well I've got a sudden surprise appointment this morning," Elizabeth said apologetically. "So I'm sorry for leaving you two alone, but you'll have to wait in containment until I'm done. Don't worry it shouldn't be too long."

"Its fine," Emma said quickly. Lucy was silent.

     Elizabeth entered through the back door connected directly to the containment area, and immediately went over to an orderly.

"Can you keep these two while until I'm done with my patient," Elizabeth said authoritatively to the orderly.

"Of course," the orderly replied grabbing the lead that held the two littles.

"Mommy loves you two," Elizabeth said quickly planting a kiss on each of the girls' cheeks. She then quickly made her toward the front of the building while the orderly gently led Emma and Lucy to two adjacent cribs in the large room full of cribs. With a smile she safely secured the two of them in and wandered off.

"So you called her didn't you?" Lucy asked as soon as the orderly was out of earshot.

"Yes I did," Emma said quickly. "Are you mad at me?"

"No," Lucy said solemnly. "I've been thinking about it, and I want to go with you. If you want to leave, then I want to leave with you."

"Lucy," Emma began, but she wasn't sure how to proceed. If she was being honest Emma thought Lucy would be better off here even if Emma wasn't. She had a myriad of health problems, and Carmen and Elizabeth helped her with that. Emma didn't know how Lucy would manage herself without help, and she didn't think she could help Lucy all that much if they stayed together either. "I think maybe you're better off here." Emma said sympathetically.

"No no I'm better off with you," Lucy said pleadingly. "I don't want you to go. I don't want to be here without you."

"Lucy ..." Emma paused again not expecting the outburst of sincere emotion.

     There wasn't a lot of time to think over the consequences of this new development. Emma could spy a familiar looking orderly making her way toward the two cribs occupied by Lucy and Emma. It was Samantha, in disguise obviously. Emma knew that this particular disguise was risky. While not as visible as the doctors, everyone in the facility knew everyone, and would surely notice the new out of place looking orderly before too long.