01. Cemetery

Colors of the Wind

"Your IQ, asshole."

"Welcome back, Samantha!" Aunt Jenna greets me with excitement and a smile tugs on my pale face. I place my purse down on the counter along with my keys and Elena rushes down the stairs, Jeremy following behind her.

Elena's eyes widen as they meet mine and she quickly leaps over, throwing her arms around me tightly. I let out a tiny giggle and lean into her embrace, the warmth of my sister's skin radiating onto mine.

"I can't believe you're here!" she comments, her white teeth winking at me. I glance over at Jeremy, his brown hair spiking up and his brown eyes are dull, a little red actually.

"And hello to you too, Jeremy," I speak with a dry tone and he scoffs quietly, clearly annoyed.

"You're so short, Sam. What can you even see down there?" Jeremy teases me, bumping into my shoulder and I roll my eyes with amusement, stumbling back a little.

"Your IQ, asshole," I retort harshly, crossing my arms over my chest. Elena lets out a loud giggle, shaking her head rapidly and looking up at her younger brother.

"Low blow," Jeremy sighs out, throwing his backpack over his shoulder and wasting no time to leave the house. Elena shrugs her shoulder and grabs her bag, heading for the door.

"See you!" she exclaims before disappearing out of the door. Jenna lets out a deep sigh of exhaustion and I turn towards her, furrowing my eyebrows and pondering deep inside my mind.

"Do you know that Jeremy's doing drugs?" I ask, propping up my elbows on the counter and leaning over. Jenna's jaw and expression drop at the exact same time, and she slaps her hand down on the counter.

"Damn it! I knew there was something going on, but he's been going through such a hard time," Jenna comments with anger and a hint of sadness, her hazel blue eyes turning soft.

"We all are, Jenna, but you can't let it keep going on. Miranda and Grayson were their parents and they need to grieve, but kids need discipline. Both of them," I point out with a firm voice as she slides a cup full of coffee across the counter to me.

"You know they were your parents, too. Maybe not your real parents, but they were still your parents," Jenna announces and I lower my head with shame. My hands slide around the hot cup, and I bring it up to my lips. 

"I've already grieved and last time I checked, I don't do drugs," I point out, a slight grin forming on my face.

"I know. I've got a presentation to start...right about, now," Jenna glances down at her watch and I raise an eyebrow with interest.

Jenna waves at me before heading out the door and slamming it behind her. I finish my coffee and swipe my keys off the counter, leaving through the front door. I climb into my car and drive towards the cemetery.

I pull over on the side of the road and my boots hit the street. Cars zoom past me, and I slam my car door shut, walking into the mysterious, kind of creepy cemetery. My boots sink into the dewy grass and I head over to the two gravestones right next to each other with the names of Elena and Jeremy's parents.

I kneel down in front of the gravestones, my knees becoming wet from the grass. The cold wind slaps against my skin and I bring up my arms to my body, trying to keep my body heat.

The sky is unusually dark and there's not a single cloud in the sky. My eyes lock onto the sky and I close my eyes for a moment, fiddling with my sweaty palms.

The sound of leaves crunching behind me and heavy footsteps fill my eardrums. My eyelids shoot open and I quickly stand up, spinning around on my heel. I gasp at the sight of a pale man with raven hair towering over me, a tiny smirk across his face.

My chest pounds with anxiety and I gulp, placing a hand over my chest.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you," he replies dryly, his icy blue eyes glistening for a moment and his black leather jacket rustles. 

"Do you always stalk girls in cemeteries?" I ask, slowing down my heavy breathing. I let out a nervous chuckle and he clears his throat.

"No, not usually. Damon, Damon Salvatore," he introduces himself and I nod my head, a tiny smile on my face.

"I'm Sam and it's probably time that I get going," I point out, collecting my things.

"I'll see you around, Sam," Damon comments, sending chills down my spine. I raise an eyebrow with interest at his words and shrug my shoulders.

"Maybe," I suggest, walking off with a smile on my face.