52. Killer on the Loose

Colors of the Wind

"Thank you, Stefan."

Elena, Stefan, and I step inside Alaric's apartment hoping to find his ring

"I found a couple of newspaper articles. Seems she killed two people while she was in the institution. A nurse and a guard," Stefan announces

"So, she was a psychopath. I get it," Elena comments with annoyance.

"She was under suicide watch. No personal effects. No jewelry," Stefan announces and the color drains from my face.

"Wait, so you're saying the violent behavior can still happen even if the person isn't wearing the ring?" Elena questions with wide eyes and Stefan nods his head.

"So, we need to find his ring fast," I clear my throat, searching endlessly in his room.

"It might be too late," Stefan comments and I shake my head, pulling open the wooden draw. 

"We can't give up on Alaric," Elena begs him and he looks away from us. I pick up a folder and hand it to Stefan. He opens the folder and pulls out a thick piece of paper.

"It's the Founder Council roster. Looks like some sort of hit list," Stefan informs us and my eyes trail down the list of names.

"No, Alaric didn't write this," Elena mumbles out with denial.

"Elena, who else would write it?" I ask and she gulps, reaching into the draw and pulling out a pill bottle. She rapidly opens the bottle and pulls out Alaric's large, old ring.

"We should go," I suggest, and she nods her head eagerly.

The house is filled with silence as Stefan walks into the kitchen and I let out a deep sigh. Alaric walks down from the stairs, wrapping white gauze around his hand. His eyes grow darker, and I gulp.

"Hey there," Alaric greets us with a wide grin on his face. Concern and nervousness pumps through my veins and I nudge my sister's shoulder.

"Hi, where's Meredith?" Elena asks with a nervous tone.

"Oh, she got called into the hospital for a last-minute surgery, but she'll be back later," Alaric explains with a shaky voice and I cock my head to the side.

"What happened?" I ask with concern, shifting my weight side to side.

"Oh, I broke a coffee cup and sliced my hand open trying to pick up the pieces, but I'll live. Did Stefan catch up with you?" Alaric asks, his eyes darting around the room trying to look for him.

"No," I reply dryly, averting my gaze to the ground.

"Did you get my ring?" Alaric asks with a deep, raspy voice and I shake my head.

"We couldn't find it," I sigh out, trying to keep a calm voice.

"Well, my place is a disaster. I guess I'll, uh, I'll just have to go get it," Alaric explains, walking down the stairs. My eyes lock down onto a knife covered in blood on the floor and I gulp. My palms become sweaty, and I back up.

Alaric leaps at us, but Stefan appears behind him and wraps his arm around his throat. Alaric groans out loudly as he struggles against Stefan's strong grip. Alaric's eyes roll into the back of his head and Stefan carefully places him on the ground.

I glance up at the stairs leaving behind a trail of fresh, crimson blood and I gulp. Elena, Stefan, and I walk up the stairs, my eyes spotting the bathroom door wide open. I poke my head in the bathroom to see Meredith sitting against the bathroom counter, blood dripping out from her wound in her stomach.

My jaw drops open and Stefan bites into his wrist. I kneel down next to Meredith and place my hand underneath her jaw, propping up her head.

"Meredith, you're going to be okay," Elena reassures her with a kind tone. Stefan gently places his wrist in her mouth and her eyes slowly flutter open. Stefan stands up and backs away, the veins appearing underneath his eyes.

"Thank you, Stefan," I mumble out softly and he shoots me a tiny smile, nodding his head. The veins disappear and I let out a sigh of releif.