58. Happy Ending

Colors of the Wind

"All I ever wanted is my happy ending!"

"Wouldn't it be smarter if we just got you the hell out of town?" Matt suggests and I let out a tiny scoff

"Wouldn't it be smarter if we just got you the hell out of town?" Matt suggests and I let out a tiny scoff. I glance over at Stefan standing in the kitchen, cutting up vegetables. 

"And do what? Go on the run for rest of my life? No thank you," Elena retorts harshly, standing up from the couch. Elena swings the front door open and Elijah stands there in a nice black and white suit.

"Elijah," my sister mumbles out with shock. He steps inside the house and my palms become sweaty.

"Now, I'm assuming you have a plan or you're here to kill us all," I sigh out, placing my hands on my hips.

"All we need to do is take that stake away from Alaric. Once he's been disarmed, the weapons in my possession. My family will scatter to the ends of the earth and Alaric will follow us," Elijah announces with confidence.

"And you'll just...run," Stefan mumbles out with confusion and Elijah nods his head reassuringly.

"We've done it before. Klaus and Rebekah spent 1000 years running from my father. What's another half century while Elena's living out her natural life?" Elijah speaks calmly, almost like he doesn't care.

"We finally stopped him, Elijah. After everything that he's done to us I can't just let you bring him back," Elena replies back with an unsure tone.

"I give you my word, Elena. I will not revive Klaus within yours, not even within your children's lifetime," Elijah tries to comfort her with his easy flowing words.

"Why should she trust you? All you've done is screw her over?" Matt speaks out with anger, and I shoot him a firm glare.

"And for that, I'm deeply ashamed, but know this...she could have been dead the instant I walked through the door tonight. So, Elena, I leave it to you to make the decision to trust me or not," Elijah explains and Elena shrugs her shoulders with unsureness.

"Not! Hello! Did that concussion give you brain damage? His lunatic siblings will kill you the first chance they get!" Damon raises his voice over the phone sitting in the middle of the table and I roll my eyes with annoyance.

"Rebekah and Kol will honor the terms. If you return Klaus' body to us, Elena will come to no harm. Do you we have a deal?" Elijah asks, his eyes flickering over to my sister's.

"No, no, no, no! Did I mention no?" Damon scoffs out, clearly angry.

"Why do you want his body?" I ask curiously, leaning forward.

"He's my brother," Elijah replies dryly and I nod my head.

Elena lets out a deep sigh and chews on her bottom lip. "We have a deal," Elena agrees, nodding her head.

"Ok, good. Now it's time for our plan against Alaric. Everybody ready?" I ask curiously and I glance around at the nodding heads. I grab onto Stefan's wrist and pull him outside the house, glancing up into his forest green eyes.

"I need to go see Damon, Stefan. So, my part in the take down Alaric plan needs to be covered by somebody else,"

"You do what you need to do, Sam. We'll take care of everything else," Stefan reassures me with a wide smile across his face.

I walk into the large storage unit and walk down the hallway filled with rooms. My eyes lock onto Damon leaning against a table outside and I furrow my eyebrows with confusion.

"Damon?" I call out, kneeling down beside him.

"Alaric staked Klaus. He's dead," Damon announces and my jaw drops open. My heart skips a beat and 

"What?! Damon...he sired you," I mumble out, the color draining from my face.

"I feel okay," he reassures me and I shake my head rapidly.

"It took Sage an hour to die. I'm sure we'll have a laugh when Klaus is a big, fat liar," Damon retorts harshly and I grab onto his wrist, pulling him onto his feet. I spin around, facing Alaric and I take a few steps back.

"I see you're still pissed. I take it goldilocks gave you the slip?" Damon asks sarcastically and Alaric cocks his head to the side. He whooshes up to Damon and punches him across the face, sending him on the ground. 

A loud gasp escapes my lips and Alaric turns towards me. "Sam, run!" Damon demands through a loud groan and I shake my head.

"No," I state through gritted teeth and Damon climbs up onto his knees.

"Samantha, run! Now!" Damon yells loudly and I flinch at the loudness. Suddenly Alaric wraps his large hand around my throat and I gasp loudly, my lungs burning for air.

"All I ever wanted was my happy ending," I whisper out, glancing down at Damon. His blue eyes fill with glistening tears and my lips tremble.

I don't want to have to do this.

"Oh?" Alaric questions and the tears run down my cheeks. I sob quietly and reach down into the back of my jeans pocket, wrapping my fingers around a wooden stake.

"And I'm not letting you get in the way of it!" I groan out, shoving the stake into his chest. He lets out a raspy grunt, his jaw dropping wide open. His hand releases my throat and I thud on the harsh concrete.

I land on my side and Alaric drops onto the ground, dead for now. Damon scrambles over to my side and his hands gather my face, gently rubbing my cheeks.

"Are you okay?" Damon asks with concern, his eyes trailing over my face. I wipe at my wet face and nod my head, a smile tugging on my face.

"You're not dead," I whisper, and he lets out a tiny chuckle, raising an eyebrow.

"I told you Klaus was a big, fat liar, didn't I?" Damon asks, a grin forming along his pale face and I wrap my arms around his neck.

"Shut up," I mumble out as he stands up onto his feet, his arms wrapping around my waist.

"So, did you get your happy ending?" Damon asks and my heart skips a beat. I lean my forehead against his and stare deeply into his blue orbs.

"Yes," I whisper.

Maybe this isn't the end of anything and that's okay. My life was dull before I met Damon Salvatore, but now...it's filled with all the colors of the wind.