24. Stirring Trouble

Colors of the Wind

"Just making sure you aren't that werewolf's next dinner."

The water from the river pours down into the pond at the Mystic Falls Volunteer Day

The water from the river pours down into the pond at the Mystic Falls Volunteer Day. My eyes lock onto Mason loading boxes into the back of his jeep. Anger pumps through my veins for a moment and I perk up my head.

I march over to him and lean against his car, the sun burning down onto my skin. Our eyes meet and he lets out a deep sigh, rolling his eyes.

"What do you want?" he asks with annoyance and I clench my jaw, chewing on the inside of my cheek, pondering in my mind for a moment.

"I'm sorry that Damon tried to kill you, but to be fair you did also try to kill me and Stefan last night," I shrug my shoulders and he lets out a loud scoff, shaking his head with denial.

"Tell your little boyfriend to watch his back," Mason warns me with a harsh tone and I roll my eyes with amusement. 

"First of all, Damon Salvatore is not my boyfriend and second of all...I wouldn't be telling a vampire to watch his back," I raise my voice and he nods his head.

"And why's that?" he asks, stepping towards me and towering over me. I let out a tiny chuckle and run my tongue over my bottom lip, stepping closer to me. I open my mouth to say something but Damon flashes in front of me with harsh eyes.

"Whoa, whoa, back off blondie," he says with a gentle tone, grabbing onto my shoulder and walking me a few feet away from Mason.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, tugging away from him. He raises his eyebrows with surprise and cocks his head.

"Just making sure you aren't that werewolf's next dinner, Sam. Now, let's go calm down over here," he clears his throat, his lips curling up into a fake bright smile. He leads me over to an empty spot and I glare over at Mason.

"Are you trying to cause even more trouble now?" I ask and he shakes his head, furrowing his eyebrows.

"No, no, Stefan's put me on goodie duty. I won't try to kill Mason unless he tries something," Damon points out, his blue orbs glistening and I shrug my shoulders.

"I mean...you did try to kill him once, what's stopping him from killing you? I mean it's only fair, right? I'm just saying that you should watch your back," I point out and he presses his pink lips together.

Damon lets out a deep sigh and nods his head, walking over to his brother. I spin around and face my sister who has a slight smirk on her face.

"What was that all about?" Elena asks curiously and I lower my head, chewing on my bottom lip.

In the distance, my eardrums pick up Damon coughing loudly and I snap my head towards the sound. Damon is bent over, loud coughs leaving his mouth and my stomach twists into knots.

"Um...I'll be back," I assure her, jogging off towards the Salvatore brothers.

"Idiot spiked my drink with vervain. He's dead," Damon announces through gritted teeth and a mad tone. I follow Stefan and Damon into the woods where Mason is picking up trash, a few feet away from the people of Mystic Falls.

"Stefan, Damon, what's going on?" he asks cluelessly and Damon groans out with annoyance.

"Oh, come on, Mason. You knew this was coming," he scoffs out.

Stefan and Damon surround Mason, one brother on each side of him. Suddenly a loud gunshot rings open and I flinch at the sudden sound. Stefan groans out with agony, a tiny wound in his lower stomach.

Damon appears in front of me as more gunshots ring out and his body jolts with each one that hits him. He drops onto the ground and my jaw drops open at the sight of Sheriff Forbes and her deputies.

"Samantha?" Sheriff Forbes calls out, slightly lowering her gun. I pant heavily and my lips tremble as I slowly back up, my back hitting the tree.

"I'll take care of her, Sheriff Forbes," Mason reassures her and she nods her head, lowering it. 

The deputies drag Stefan and Damon deep into the woods until they disappear and my eyes dart around nervously, trying to find an opening.

"You'll take care of me? What does that mean? Kill me, kidnap me, or what? Hm?" I ask, my heart pounding against my chest. His eyes glare into mine and I gulp, trying to swallow my fear.

"Whatever I have to do," he explains with a harsh tone, taking a step closer to me. I shrink down into my figure and glance over my shoulder, hesitating for a moment. My legs push me into a fast sprint, heading deeper into the woods.

"Damn it!" Mason curses out and my chest pounds heavily. Sweat trickles down my back and suddenly a hand slaps over my wrist and other one over my mouth. My eyes widen and I squirm against the figure. 

"Shhh, it's me. You're safe, I got you," Damon's voice whispers, his lips slightly brushing against my ear. Chills run down my spine and I let out a deep breath, relaxing against his tall figure.

"Is everybody okay?" I ask with worry and he bobs his head, his raven hair framing his face.

"Come on, I'll take you home," he assures me and I nod my head, following him out of the woods.