19. Temptations

Colors of the Wind

"Damon! You scared the hell out of me!"

I gently knock on Jeremy's door and it slowly swings open

I gently knock on Jeremy's door and it slowly swings open. He lifts up his head, his dark brown hair falling into his pale face and he shakes his head with denial.

"No, get out. Elena already tried talking to me," Jeremy demands, jumping off his bed as I step inside, closing the door behind me. I press my lips together and nod my head, trying to understand where he's coming from.

"God, Jeremy, we didn't want you to know because it's very dangerous. We just wanted to keep you safe," I try to explain and he lets out a chuckle full of disbelief.

"You and Elena are both very bad liars. Now, get out!" he raises his voice and I flinch slightly, gulping. Jeremy's eyes widen with worry and I turn around, quickly leaving the room. I rush down the stairs, Elena glancing up from the living room couch and meeting my eyes.

"Hey, any luck?" Elena questions and a frown forms on my face. She lets out a deep sigh and closes her journal.

"No, but you should go for the Founder's Day parade. I'll be joining you when Mayor Lockwood starts his speech," I announce and she lowers her eyebrows, shooting me a confused glance.

"Why?" she asks and I shrug my shoulders.

I walk around as people crowd around the stage where Mayor Lockwood is suppose to deliver his speech. I glance up, my eyes meeting Damon as he jogs over to me.

"The tomb vampires are here. Get out of here now," Damon demands, his eyes shooting me a serious glance. I gulp and he walks away as my eyes dart around, looking for my sister and Stefan.

The crowd lets out cheers and loud claps as the Mayor starts to deliver his speech. My eyes lock onto Stefan as he drops down onto his knees on the ground, holding onto his head and my eyes widen.

Elena kneels down beside him and I sprint over. "What's happening?" I ask with concern and Elena's lips tremble.

"I don't know. He just collapsed," Elena mumbles out with a rapid voice, fiddling around with her hands. Alaric rushes over to us, grabbing onto Stefan and lifting him onto his feet.

"He's not the only one. Cops are grabbing the ones that dropped down and injecting them with vervain," Alaric informs us and my stomach twists into uneasy knots.

"They're rounding up the vampires," Elena reveals, her jaw dropping open. Stefan groans out with agony and his pupils dilate, the grimace of agony disappearing from his face. 

"It's like needles were piercing my skull, then it just stopped," he informs us and I glance around nervously.

"I saw at least five vampires go down. They were taking them to your family's old building," Alaric reveals and I nod my head rapidly.

"It's the Gilbert device. It has to be," Stefan suggests and Elena shakes her head with denial, letting out a scoff underneath her breath.

"Bonnie unspelled it," I speak up, pondering in my mind.

"Maybe she didn't," Alaric points out and I chew on my bottom lip nervously.

"Oh, my God. Damon, where the hell is Damon?!" I raise my voice, glancing around rapidly and clenching my fists. Stefan's eyes widen with worry and he quickly stands up.

"The building's on fire," Stefan repeats with worry and my jaw drops open, a gasp escaping my lips. Stefan and Elena rush ahead and I follow behind them until a hand grabs onto my wrist, pulling me back.

"I can't allow you to go back there," John demands, his grip tightening around my wrist and I grimace with disgust.

"God, what the hell have you done?" I growl out, anger pumping through my veins.

"Doing what this family should've done 145 years ago. Damon, along with the rest of the vampires are going to die. You can't stop it," John announces with a firm tone and I roughly tug away from him.

"And you can't stop me," I retort harshly, sprinting ahead. My eardrums fill with the sounds of the raging orange and red flames, smoke pouring out from the open door. My eyes lock onto Stefan with Damon hanging over his shoulder, coughing loudly.

My heart sinks down and my stomach churns with uneasiness. I rush over to Damon as he pulls away from his brother and our eyes meet.

"Damon! You scared the hell out of me!" I raise my voice and his eyes soften. He steps towards me and I start lightly punching his chest, trying to shove him away from me.

"Hey, hey, hey, Samanatha...I'm fine," Damon speaks with a calm voice, grabbing onto my fists and rubbing them gently with his thumbs. My eyes search his for a moment and he pulls me into his chest.

"I'm fine," he reassures me, sending chills down my spine. His hand cups the back of my head and I let out a shaky breath, slowly wrapping my arms around his torso.