18. Mother Dearest

Colors of the Wind

"And I hate myself."

"Elena has officially cured Stefan of anything that was interesting of his personality," Damon sighs out as I roll my eyes with annoyance

"Don't forget who helped us," I point out, waving my finger in his face. He roughly grabs onto my finger and leans forward, his eyes turning serious.

"And I hate myself," he remarks with a sarcastic tone as I pull my hand away from him. His hands fiddle around with the golden compass and I furrow my eyebrows.

"Hm, have fun trying to figure out what that little invention does," I hum out, jumping off the couch and heading out the front door. I take out my keys and glance down at my phone for a moment.

I lift up my head and meet the eyes of an older woman and I gasp loudly, my heart skipping a beat.

"Hi, you must be Samantha. I'm Isobel, Elena's birth mother," Isobel introduces herself and I take a step back with surprise.

"Isobel, wow. I suggest you leave," I demand and she lets out a tiny chuckle.

"You have a lot of demands," Isobel states with a dark tone and eyes.

"And you have a lot of nerve coming into town. Now, what the hell do you want with my sister?" I ask and she cocks an eyebrow.

"I want to meet her," she announces and I let out a tiny scoff, shaking my head with denial.

"Why?" I ask through gritted teeth, wanting no part of this conversation.

"I want what your uncle wants, the Jonathan Gilbert invention," she reveals and I grimace with disgust, shooting her a harsh glare.

"I don't know where it's at," I mumble out, trying to walk away from her. A harsh hand slaps around my wrist and slams me back into the wall, a groan full of pain escaping my lips.

Isobel's hand wraps around my throat and squeezes it. My stomach twists into uneasy knots and she shoots me a wryly smile.

"I know that, but Damon does. You're gonna get it for me or your sister's blood will be on your hands," she threatens, tightly squeezing my throat. A hoarse breath escapes my lungs and she disappears.

I hear footsteps rushing towards me as I slide down the wall, coughing loudly. Damon's eyes widen as they meet mine and he rushes over to me, kneeling down beside me.

"What happened?" he asks, a hint of concern in his eyes. I press hand to my sore throat and my lips tremble for a moment.

"Isobel, she wants Jonathan Gilbert's invention," I reveal and his blue eyes widen. Suddenly my phone starts to ring and I pick up the call from my sister.

"Stefan, Bonnie, and I are on the way to the boarding house. We need to talk," she demands with a shaky voice and I lean my head against the wall, my lips parting.

"Let me guess. Isobel?" I mumble out with weak voice.

"Absolutely not," Damon demands 

"Just hear us out," Elena begs him and he furrows his eyebrows, shaking his head rapidly.

"I'm not gonna give the device to Isobel so she can give it to John, who's going to turn around and kill me. I like being a living dead person," Damon 

"But it'll be useless. Bonnie can take its power away," my sister points out, glancing back at the witch.

"I can remove the original spell," Bonnie speaks up, sitting on the edge of the couch.

"No, I'll get Jeremy my own way," Damon retorts harshly and I let out a deep sigh of annoyance.

"Really? How are you going to do that? Because Isobel is a vampire and Jeremy can be dead the second you walk in the door," Stefan comments with a firm tone, crossing his arms over his chest.

I roll my eyes with annoyance and walk up to Damon, holding out my right hand. "Damon, come on. Trust me," I beg him and he stares at me blankly. He reaches into his pocket and hands me the compass.

He scrunches up his nose with disgust and I hand the compass to Bonnie. Stefan tugs on my wrist and pulls me aside, into an empty room.

"He just gave it to me like it was nothing," I mumble out with confusion and Stefan lets out a tiny chuckle.

"You don't know why?" He questions me and I stare at him with confusion, shaking my head with denial.

"What do you mean?" I ask, placing my hands on my hips.

"Damon, um, he has feelings for you. I'm pretty everyone in Mystic Falls can see it," Stefan reveals and my heart skips a beat, my palms becoming sweaty.