26. Masquerade

Colors of the Wind

"You should know better than to hold back with me."

"Easy now

"Easy now. You don't want to rip out your stitches," Alaric warns Aunt Jenna as she stumbles in through the front door.

"I doubt the drugs the doctor gave her have worn off yet," I reply dryly and Alaric lets out a tiny chuckle as he gently grabs onto Jenna and helps her lay down on the couch.

"I swear I'm fine," Jenna tries to reassure us, a wave of agony painting all over her face and she lets out grunt, placing a hand over her stomach.

"Just take it easy for now, okay?" Elena asks with a kind tone, giving Jenna's hand a slight squeeze and I shoot her a grin. 

Elena, Jeremy, and I gathered in the kitchen.

"So, what do we do know?" Jeremy asks, eagerly like a little kid on Christmas night. Elena furrows her eyebrows with confusion and starts pulling out plates.

"We make dinner," she replies dryly and Jeremy lets out a tiny scoff.

"I mean about Katherine. We can't just let her get away with this," he explains, sharply sucking in a breath. Elena hangs her head low and I clear my throat.

"Katherine has shown us what she's capable of, Jeremy. It's too dangerous to go after now, we need to lay low," I demand with a firm tone and he rolls his eyes with annoyance, storming off.

My sister lets out a deep sigh and I gaze outside the window into the darkness of the night.

"Tonight's the masquerade party at the Lockwoods. I was thinking of going to get my mind off of things, you should come," I suggest, shooting her a sly smile.

Elena runs her tongue over her bottom lip and gently shakes her head. "I'm gonna stay with Alaric and watch over Jenna. Have fun though," she comments, nudging my shoulder and I bob my head.

I get ready for the masquerade and leave in my car, driving down the dark roads.

I pull up to the Lockwood driveway which is filled with fancy cars and crowds of people, filing in and outside the mansion. I climb out of my car and slam the door shut, walking up the stairs inside the mansion.

My heels click on the hardwood floor and the warm wind blows inside the mansion from all the open doors and windows. The mansion is filled with loud chatter and the rich smell of wine.

Footsteps from behind fill my eardrums and I spin around, facing Damon Salvatore who's dressed in a black tux. A black mask covers the upper half of his face and my palms become sweaty. My heart skips a beat for a moment, and I clear my mind.

"What are you doing here?" I ask curiously, peering into his glistening ocean eyes. He pouts his plump, pink lips and gives a slight shrug.

"You know me...I like masquerades," he comments, giving me a slight smirk. My eyes dart around the room, catching sights of Stefan, Bonnie, and Caroline.

"What are you planning, Damon?" I ask, stepping towards him and glaring into his eyes, trying to get him to budge out the truth. He throws up his hands in defense and lowers his dark eyebrows.

"I don't know what you're talking about, Sam. Enjoy your time," he chuckles out lightly, shooting me a wink. I open my mouth to protest, but he disappears with the wind.

I clench my fists and walk into the dining room where is empty. I pick up a glass of wine and hear soft breathing in my eardrums. I snap my head around and meet the dark eyes of Katherine Pierce.

Katherine is here. I gulp and she twirls her curly hair around her finger, slowly wading over to me with confidence.

"Hi, Samantha. Funny seeing you here. How's your aunt?" Katherine asks with a cocky tone, and I grimace with disgust.

"Shut the hell up!" I demand through gritted teeth, anger pumping through my veins.

"Oh, someone's a little feisty. Don't worry, I was holding back with poor Aunt Jenna," she pouts out, a wryly smirk forming across her pale face.

"You should know better than to hold back with me," I warn her and Katherine throws her head back, letting out a wryly laugh.

"Fine, Sam, but I tried to warn you," she shrugs her shoulder, pouting with her light pink lips. 

She strides up to me with confident and places a hand on my shoulder, squeezing every so lightly. Suddenly with an unknown force of strength she shoves me against the wall and I gasp at the sudden movement.

I squirm against her grip, but it's no use and she pins me against the wall, glaring blankly into my eyes. She opens her mouth and bares her fang, ready to take a chunk out of my neck.

"Let her go, Katherine," Stefan demands, stepping into the room with eyes filled of concern. She scoffs loudly with annoyance and releases her tight grip on me.

Damon walks in behind Stefan and holds out his hand, gesturing me over to him. I waste no time rushing over to Damon's side and he gives Stefan a reassuring nod. Damon drags me out of the room and I tug away from him.

"Ok, you've got to tell me what's going on," I beg him with despair and he presses his lips together. His eyes dart around the room and he snatches onto my wrist, dragging me out of the mansion.

"We're going to kill Katherine," he announces with a quiet voice and my stomach twists into uneasy knots.