51. To Solve a Murder

Colors of the Wind

"I know I don't deserve your forgiveness, but I need it."

I sink down into the couch with a box of tissues beside me

I sink down into the couch with a box of tissues beside me. Elena swings open the front door and I perk up my head.

The Originals have left town and now I'm sitting here in my sulk over my boyfriend killing my father.

"Hey, I heard about last night. Stefan told me. Is there anything I can do?" my sister asks, a deep frown sitting on top of her tan face. I shrug my shoulders and shake my head, my eyes staring endlessly at the TV that's playing the news.

"Any news to cheer me up or just get it off my mind?" I ask curiously and Elena lets out a deep sigh.

"Alaric's in jail for murder," Elena announces and my jaw drops open. The color drains from my face and Elena nods her head reassuringly.

"Whoa, what?" I exclaim, jumping up from the couch.

"Dr. Fell said that Alaric came at her with a knife, and she shot him. She then called the police and he's been in jail since last night," Elena explains and my heart thuds against my chest.

"Nobody believes that he actually tried to kill Meredith, right?" I ask and Elena shrugs her shoulders.

"Sheriff Forbes says that there's some evidence that can free him right now. I just don't know why Meredith would say that he tried to kill her," Elena sighs out, running his fingers through her hair.

"How many times can Alaric die with his ring before it starts to change him, Elena?" I blurt out and Elena's eyes widen with shock.

"What are you saying? That Alaric's been killing people because of his ring?" my sister scoffs out and I nod my head.

"I think we should go to the hospital and ask Meredith to do a check on Alaric once he gets out," I mumble out and Elena's eyes fill with concern.

"Ok, let's go," Elena encourages me, pulling out her car keys.

Elena and I arrive at the hospital and sit in an empty room as Meredith gives Alaric a scan.

I chew on my bottom lip nervously and Alaric walks inside the room. I glance down at his ring on the counter and goosebumps form along my arms.

"Meredith checked you out and said everything looked normal," Elena announces with confidence and a certain unsureness at the same time.

"Everything is normal. I didn't kill Brian Walters, I didn't bill Bill Forbes, and I sure as hell didn't shove a hunting knife into my stomach or I did and I've gone insane just like your ancestor who wore that ring," Alaric mumbles out, fiddling around with his large ring.

I lower my head with shame and a deep sigh falls from my lips. "You know it's just the ring that's changing you," I try to assure him.

"You ready to get out of this house of horrors?" I hear Damon's raspy voice from behind and chills run down my spine.

"Yeah, let me just check out," Alaric comments, walking out of the room. I spin around and meet Damon's blue glistening eyes. I gulp and lower my head as I storm out of the hospital.

Damon follows me outside and I clench my fists.

"Don't worry about him, I'll take him out for chicken soup and get him a Martini, make sure he doesn't kill anybody," Damon assures me with a sarcastic tone and I roll my eyes with annoyance.

"God, do you ever shut up?!" I stop walking and spin around, facing him. He stares at me with wide eyes and gulps, taking a step back.

"Sam, I'm sorry. I didn't know he was your father," Damon comments with a sincere tone and I shake my head with denial.

"That doesn't make it any better! God, Damon, you killed my father when I was 6 years old. You left my mother a wreck and you left me to grow up without him," I explain rapidly with a trembling voice and Damon's eyes soften.

"I know I don't deserve your forgiveness, but I need it," Damon begs me and my heart pounds against my chest.

"I'm sorry, but I can't forgive you," I mumble out, turning away from him and walking off. I clasp a hand over my mouth and let out a deep shaky breath.