11. Giuseppe Salvatore

Colors of the Wind

"Yes, but can we trust you? That's the real question."

"Let me get this straight

"Let me get this straight. You say we're going to help Damon, but in the end screw him over?" I ask with question, facing my sister and her boyfriend. They share a glance, and both nod their heads.

"Sounds about right," Stefan comments, bobbing his head. I glance at Elena and her soft brown eyes.

"Hm, I didn't know you were this evil," I comment, and Elena lets out a tiny scoff, shooting me a harsh glare.

"Damon's twisted, he's killed a lot of people. We can't let him open the tomb," Elena announces with a determined voice.

"What'll happen if he does?" I ask curiously, wrapping my fingers around the corner of the counter.

"I think that no matter what Damon promises, a lot of people will die," Stefan reassures me and I lower my head with shame.

"Fine, I'm in," I sigh out, a frown painting over my face. 

"I should head back home now," Stefan suggests and Elena smiles, nodding her head.

I head down the stairs and my eyes lock onto Damon, a kitchen towel over his shoulder and a smug smirk across his face. His hand wielding a knife chops through some vegetables.

"What's going on?" I ask with confusion as Damon lifts up his head and meets my eyes.

"We're cooking dinner," Jenna announces, sitting down on the counter with a glass of red wine in her hand. I shoot her a glance and I blink with surprise. Jeremy is sitting down on the couch, playing a video game and Jenna hops down off the counter, walking into the living room.

"Can I trust Stefan? I want you to answer me, honestly," Damon asks as I walk deeper into the kitchen, stirring the pot full of sauces. I gaze into his blue orbs, seeking out for an answer and I nod my head.

"Yes, but can we trust you? That's the real question," I demand and his raven hair falls down into his face, framing it.

"You'll just have to find out," he shoots me a tiny wink, playfully nudging my shoulder and I roll my eyes. My eyes lock onto Elena's and she tilts her head to the stairs, heading up them. I clear my throat and follow Elena up the stairs and into her room where Stefan is waiting.

Stefan pulls out the journal and my eyes widen. "Is that the journal?" Elena asks and he nods his head. Stefan each hands up a pack of pages and my eyes skim through it, looking for any information.

"I know where it is," Stefan chimes in, perking up his head. 

"Where?" I question him curiously.

"My father's grave," he replies and I nod my head, swinging around my car keys.

"Let's go then," I chuckle out.

Elena, Stefan, and I arrive at the grave of Giuseppe Salvatore. Stefan lights a torch on fire from the firepit and he hangs it up, giving us light. Stefan and Elena each take a shovel, starting to dig up the grave of Giuseppe.

Suddenly the shovel clangs loudly against another object and Stefan's eyes widen. He quickly wipes away the dirt from the coffin and he lifts it up. A skeleton missing some bones remains in the coffin and Stefan picks up the journal.

"Well, what do you know? This is an interesting turn of events," Damon huffs out with anger and I point my flashlight at him as he stands a few feet away.

"I can't let you bring her back. I'm sorry," Stefan comments.

"So am I. For thinking for even a second that I could trust you," his brother scoffs out.

"Oh, you're not capable of trust. The fact that you're here means you read the journal and you planned on doing this yourself," Stefan announces firmly.

"Of course I was going to do it by myself because the only one I can count on is me! You made sure of that many years ago, Stefan. But you...you had me fooled," Damon voice turns soft as he gazes in my direction.

"I'm sorry," I mumble out.

"So what are you going to do now? Because if you try and destroy that, I'll rip her heart out," Damon threatens, his eyes meeting mine. A shiver runs down my spine and Elena's eyes widen.

"You won't kill her," Stefan states with confidence. Damon whooshes past Stefan and grabs onto me, an arm wrapped around my neck. I inhale sharply

"I can do one better. Give me the book, Stefan or I'm snapping her neck," Damon demands with a loud voice, biting into his wrist. He shoves his wrist into my mouth and I squirm against him as the blood drips into my mouth.

I grimace with disgust and Elena breathes heavily, her eyes filling with worry. 

"Let her go," Stefan demands, dropping the book on the ground. Damon slowly unravels his arm from my neck and my heart skips a beat. I race over to Elena, and she lets out a sigh of relief, throwing her arms around me.

She pulls me into her side and I glare over at Damon, fear pumping through my veins.