{ 1 }

"Hey, Vincent!" A guy's voice called from behind me. I immediately recognized who it was and whipped my head around.

My best friend, Jack Richards, was standing there with his usual apparel. A big grey sweatshirt with baggy sweats. No one would typically think much about it, until they realize that that's what he's wearing during summer. How could anyone possibly wear that when it's literally eighty degrees Fahrenheit outside? Isn't that bad for you? Sure, it was confusing, but Jack's demeanor never seemed to amaze me.

I sprinted towards him, already holding my hand out.

"Hey man," I said.

He stuck his hand out towards mine, too, beginning the secret handshake that we've just started last year, geeky, I know. But it was similar to the one that Ned and Peter did in that new Spider-Man movie. So, I guess it's not really our secret handshake. Nor is it secret at all.

Today was our first day of high-school. We weren't as nervous as we were about a month ago. At first, Jack continuously panicked about how there would be too much work to do and how much harder it would be than middle-school was.

My older brother, James, has other perspectives on this. He's a senior this year and has already experienced the stupid, unnecessary rules, along with the myriad of homework that was handed out almost every single day. But he was smart and he was actually fond of school, so he never complained. "It's not that bad," I quote my more successful older brother.

I paused my thinking to talk to Jack, who was probably quiet during my whole thought process. "What's your schedule?" I asked, immediately wanting to break the awkward silence between us.

We live on the same street, fairly close to the new high school, which is in walking distance, surprisingly. But he was the one farther from the school. During summer we decided that we'll walk to school and back together every school day, unless something important comes up.

To answer the question I asked earlier, he slid his phone out from the pocket of his sweatshirt and unlocked it, placing his thumb over the home button. Jack tapped and swiped a few times before it revealed two screenshots of his first-semester schedule. The first screenshot displayed his first four periods, the other showing when he had lunch and his last few classes.

I snatched the phone from his hand before he had time to read it. His schedule had Physical Education for eighth period with Mr. Nielsen, French on seventh with Mrs. Demissy, and World Siv. for third with Mr. Barnes. Which was identical to my three periods at those times. But thankfully, we had lunch together.

"So..." Jack started, expecting me to answer instantly. But I didn't, since I didn't know what I was supposed to answer with. "How many periods?" he continued.

I eventually understood what he was saying, my brain being the total opposite of quick when it came to answering questions. Or just in general, to be honest. "Three," I told him, holding up my fingers.

"Sweet!"

"Excluding lunch," I added, so he knew that we actually have four "periods" together.

"Even better."

For most of our brief walk to the school, we were silent. The boiling summer sun was shining right down at us. It felt as if it was shining directly at me and me only. My t-shirt and shorts definitely weren't helping. I was sweating intensely and it felt like I was being cooked alive. I looked at Jack and groaned. How was he not complaining in that? How is he not dead yet because of his flamboyant lifestyle? Thankfully, summer is coming to a close, letting my favorite season, Autumn, start. You can guess that I'm already not like most other boys.