{ 14 }

« 9/10/18 - 9:36 a.m. »

♡ ♡ ♡

It's been more than a week since that party.

By now, there were so many people sitting at Jack and I's used-to-be lonely table. Too many people.

Tessa was sitting next to me. Vanessa was sitting next to her. Aiden was across from me like always, while Andrew was beside him. A few other girls I didn't know were sitting at our table, plus Serena and Lily. Even Carter was sitting there with a few of his buddies. But no Jack.

I wasn't comfortable with this many unfamiliar people surrounding me.

I mean, three people, I get, but there were more than ten people at my table that I was forced to socialize with.

I guess that's just one of the perks of being Tessa's boyfriend. Which, by the way, I didn't even consciously approve to, but I didn't want to disappoint her. She actually had feelings for me. Never thought I'd say this, but I really wish she hadn't. I mean, it's been only about a week and she's already clingy. Middle-school me wanted this attention. But now, I want it to end.

From across the table, I could hear Carter shout over to Aiden and Andrew, "Hey guys! Football tryouts are in a week or so! Put it on your calendar! I need to at least get on junior varsity with the two of you!"

Then that turned into a shout-conversation amongst the three of them.

I drowned in the conversations emerging around me, making my whole body tense.

I even overheard Tessa and Vanessa talking.

"What about you and that Aiden guy?" Tessa asked, recalling that one time at Carter's party. "Date him."

"Nah, he didn't even ask me out after the party," Vanessa told her. "I don't think he likes me. Actually, he hasn't talked to me directly since last week."

For a moment, I sighed in relief. Aiden deserved better than Vanessa anyway. Tessa spent the last week talking crap about her. I don't even know how they're still best friends.

Breaking my train of thought, I heard Andrew's loud voice ringing through my ears. "Vincent!" Finally, I blinked a couple of times so my vision was back in focus and looked straight at him. "I've been calling you for over a minute now."

"Sorry," I sighed. "I blanked out."

Andrew lets it pass. "Okay . . . Well uh, we need to talk . . . about . . . something."

When Tessa hears him say that, she puts her arm around me and smiles at him, indicating that she's ready to listen. I'm starting to question why I ever liked her.

Andrew glares at me, then tilting his eyes toward Tessa. I knew that look. "Alone?" he urged.

I nodded. I took a look at Tessa and forced a grin. "Gotta go." I saw her eyes roll, but honestly, at this point, it didn't affect me.

Andrew and I continued to walk to one vacant corner of the cafeteria and stood there for a while before he started talking.

"Remember that thing that happened during the summer that I was talking to you about?" he asked.

I nodded. "The one where Aiden-"

"Yes, where Aiden 'came out,'" he interrupted.

"What about it?"