VII

The taste of latté satisfies my tongue

The taste of latté satisfies my tongue. The heat of it warms my lips. I look at her as she enjoys her favorite capuccino cup with one packet of sugar. I kick my lips and stir my coffee round and round. The circular motion hypnotizes my hand to do it automatically. I'm focused to the sight of foam colliding with the brown liquid.

Hwa Young suddenly lets out a yelp and stares at her lap. She turns to look at me, nervously like she's embarrassed. I cocked my head to her lap that the table blocks me to see.

"I just spilled that hot coffee on myself," she takes some napkins the table already provided and pats her lap.

Beside my cup of coffee is a paper and a pen. I take the pen and write something down.

You okay? Also what was the thing you wanted to tell me that involved our parents?

I lend the paper to her, she looks up from her lap. She takes the paper softly and reads it.

"Oh right. I found out your mom was also a detective from the police station. Which is the same as my dad's job. There is a possibility that our parents are detective partners, they had a case, involving serial killers, since at that time serial killers were all around the newspaper, so I believe that they are killed by the psychopath," Hwa Young tells me.

This is too much for my head to process on one day. I point at my paper she's holding. She gives it to me and I start to write my reply.

Another thing: why does the police kept silent about it? They didn't tell us they believe that our parents are killed by the psychopath. Hell, they didn't even tell us they're opening a case about it. Which I doubt that they did. The only thing the police said to me is when after a few days my mom died, the case was to hard to work on.

"That too and-" she got cut off by the notification sound of her phone and surprisingly mine too. Our phones chime at the same time, that's weird. My phone never gets notifications other than Hwa Young's messages and the deep condolences people sent back when Mom was killed. She opens her messages, while I open mine.

Congratulations!
You found me. The killer of Na Jaeyoon and Park Minjoon and many others. I've been watching the ones I've killed all these months, which are including you both since I killed your parents and it killed you. There are many other kids who their parents got killed by me. Find all the kids in this city who suffers the broken heart and one of them is me. Good luck x!

I felt as if an anchor was on my chest that it was hard for my lungs to suck oxygen. This anonymous guy is the serial killer on the loose that killed many parents, wanting the kids to suffer from it.

"Did you get the same message?" Her face is pale and her eyes are wide. I nod. She looks around, but finds nothing suspicious.

No one was spying on us.
No one was eyeing on us.
No one was being suspicious at all.

I stare at the CCTV cameras, but they are too far to record the sounds of our conversation. She looks under the table. I turned into a cold ice statue as I didn't know where else to check. She appears from the under with a device on her hand.

"This is a weird device. It's not a recorder, it's not a bomb, but this has some parts that are unnecessary to be put," she says her eyes are on the device as she turned it around and examine it.