Entry 0

"If you're not up to date on your vaccines, treatment is only effective within one week of infection

"If you're not up to date on your vaccines, treatment is only effective within one week of infection. After the symptoms start to show, it's already too late."

     Maria watched the black and white film intently, her eyes focused on the narrator with the slicked back hair and the too big smile. Her fingers ran across her arm, over the circular bandages where she'd just gotten her shots the day before.

      "After the first symptom, it will take two weeks before the transformation is complete. Immediately after contact with an infected individual, you will feel tingling in the skin. This will fade away after about an hour, and you'll feel normal at first, but don't let that fool you. You are not okay."

      The video flipped to old footage of a man in a hospice facility, clothed in white, being monitored by a couple of doctors. He seemed relatively normal as he sipped at some soup.

      "The first symptom without treatment will be a severe, unrelenting headache. A few days later, the victim will become increasingly photophobic, and will salivate uncontrollably."

       The film cut to a scene of the man drooling into a cup. Maria recoiled even though she'd seen the film a half dozen times before.

       "A day or two later extreme thirst will develop, but it won't be able to be quenched by water or any other typical means. By the time a week and a half has passed, hallucinations will start."

        Maria shuttered as the man fearfully glanced back and forth, seemingly frightened by things that were never there.

         "After hallucinations, one of two outcomes will happen. Either the victim will fall into a coma and die, of the transformation will be complete."

         The man was strapped to a bed now, pale and sickly looking. Two nurses walked up to him, carrying a squirming rabbit in their gloved hands. The man lunged for it, straining against his restraints, his jaws snapping like an animal. The screen flashed back to the narrator with the too big smile, the aged film glitching and twitchy slightly before flicking to end credits. Over them, the man's voice echoed.

      "It seems the ones who don't make it are the lucky ones."

       The screen faded to black, signaling the end, and the projector behind her clicked off. Footsteps clicked on the stone floor of the compound basement she sat nearly alone in.

     "I know you've seen the lessons many times, but it's important you're as prepared for you mission as possible." Father David said, appearing at her side. He put one of his hands on her shoulder in an effort to reassure her. She looked up at him. Like the man in the film, he had slicked back hair, but instead of a too big smile, Maria didn't think she'd ever seen him so much as smirk in her life. He was wearing his usual too big button up shirt with his too big black dress pants, everything held precariously together in the middle with a shiny black belt.

       "I know, Father David." She said quietly.

       "You have a pure heart," He went on. "That's why everyone is so glad you decided to go on this mission. You will be greatly rewarded for your bravery and sacrifice."

       "I know, Father David." She said again.

      "Of all of our girls, you are the most meek, and the most humble. I know if anyone will be able to resist the temptation and complete this mission, it will be you."

      She nodded, folding up her papers and tucking them in her duffle bag.

      "Also, Spencer Blake left this for you."

      Maria's eyes lit up at the sound of his name. Father David smiled kindly at her as he handed her a small blue box. She opened it, taking out the small silver bracelet, dangling with little cross charms. There was a note, too.

      Good luck on your mission.

      "Does this mean—"

      "Your courtship will begin when you finish your mission." Father David cut her off with a nod.

      She smiled down at the note, tucking it into her bag along with the bracelet. Finally, a way to get out of the boarding house. Maybe when she got married, Spencer would let her visit her family. Maybe he would let her leave the house by herself. After years of everyone doubting her, she was finally getting a chance to prove herself, to work her way up the ranks.                 

       Remember," Father David broke her from her thoughts. "If you can find at least ten bite clubs for us to raid, you'll be handsomely rewarded for your work, both in this life and the next."

      Maria knew what she was doing was dangerous. She knew what she was doing wasn't technically legal. But she also knew that God's law wasn't the same as man's law. God's law was perfect, while man's law was flawed, and inherently sinful, just like man.

      And as a child of God, it was her job to go out and right the wrongs of the world, even if it meant risking her life. It was how she would earn her place in the great paradise. Others might not understand, but that was because they weren't aware of God's perfect plan yet.

       "Don't feel bad about sending them to jail." Father David said. "I know it's hard, but it's what's best for them. They probably won't understand, and they might even hate you, but you're doing what's right in The True God's eyes."

       "I understand." She said, "Besides, I know their souls have already moved on. They're not even people anymore."

       He squeezed her shoulder. "Good girl. Are you ready to go?"

       She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

       "Yes sir."