Entry 18

Maria couldn't look directly at Switchblade for two days

     Maria couldn't look directly at Switchblade for two days. Whenever he would ask her something, she would simply just turn around and briskly walk away. One day, he even had to drive her to work, and she still managed to avoid looking at him and talking to him for the entire car ride.

      By the time she got off from work, her embarrassment was waning, as she had started to reason with herself that she was being a little bit too dramatic. She knew she should just start talking to him like everything was okay, and he probably wouldn't bring it up anymore. After all, he might even be more embarrassed about it than she was.

      But she didn't get the chance to talk to him.

     She had only been home for an hour when the police showed up.

     Mrs. V was the one who answered the door, and she called Maria from the bottom of the stairs and explained the situation.

     "They asked for you, sweetheart." She said, a worried frown on her brow, her smile tight.

     Maria simply nodded and followed her gaze to the dining room. She walked inside.

      Just be cool. She told herself. You don't have to admit to anything.

      There were two officers sitting at the table.

      "Ms. Alvarez?" One of them said.

      "Uh. Yes. That's me." She said as she sat across from them.

       "It's nice to meet you. How are you doing?" He said.

        "I'm well." She nodded.

        "Do you know why we're here today?" He asked.

         She shook her head. "No, I don't think so."

         He gave her a polite smile and cleared his throat.

        "Ms Alvarez, we received a complaint that Carmen Mircalla was biting you."

        Maria felt sick to her stomach, but she tried to hide it, to make sure her face remained composed, if not slightly shocked.

       She shook her head again. "No, uh, who said that?"

        "You don't have to lie to us, Ms. Alvarez. You're not in trouble." He said, leaning in.

        "No. I'm actually." She swallowed, trying to quickly think of an excuse. "I'm terrified of being in pain and that sounds like it would hurt, right?"

         The officer sighed, and leaned back again.

       "Look, you seem like a well meaning girl, but I can't help but wonder what someone like you is doing in a vampire coven." He said.