(Sneak peek) Book Two: Chapter Zero

"Come on, Maria." Carmen whined to her girlfriend. "Just stay with me tonight. I've missed you."

        "I have to study Carmen." Maria said with an amused giggle.

        "But I miss you so fucking much and you look so fucking... delicious today." Carmen said. She leaned forward and kissed the crook of her neck in just the way she knew Maria liked. She could feel her pulse speed up, practically taste the hot blood pumping through her veins.

       "We can hang out later, Carmen—" Maria's voice broke off into a quiet whimper as Carmen started to gently nibble on her neck, though not nearly hard enough to break the skin.

       "You'll be tired then." Carmen pouted. "You'll want to go to bed early for your test tomorrow." Carmen continued kissing down her chest, until she got to the top curve of her breast. "I think it would be best if you were... relaxed for you test."

        "Mm. Carmen." Maria hummed happily.

        Carmen smiled against her skin and brought her hand up to gently brush away the straps of her tank top.

        "Knock knock." A voice at the door said. It was Edwin. Of course.

        Carmen rolled off of Maria and sighed dramatically before throwing a pillow over her head.

        "Don't be a baby." Maria chided. "Come in!"

        Edwin came into the room with his familiar crooked smile.

        "I wanted to see if you guys want to come down and help us put up the Christmas decorations." He said. "It's our yearly tradition, after all."

       Carmen shot Maria a look. "See? You weren't going to be studying anyway!"

       "Well, let's go decorate! That sounds like fun!" Maria said, rolling off of the bed.

       Carmen grumbled and half hearted reply and pulled herself up.

       She wanted to protest some more, but the way Maria's face lit up with excitement at the prospect of decorating made her keep her mouth shut.

      It was her first Christmas, after all. The Church didn't celebrate it, and Maria was probably excited to see what the hype was all about.

       I guess it's nice to spend any amount of time together, even if I'm not getting laid. She thought.

      She followed Maria and Edwin down the stairs out into the parlor.

      Maria immediately made a mad dash toward the Christmas tree where Mrs. V and Clementine were already unpacking the thirty-seven boxes of ornaments. It seemed like too many, but when Carmen pointed out one year that it was too many to ever fit on the tree, Mrs. V simply bought a second tree.

      Carmen took a seat on the piano bench across the room so she could sulk in peace.

       This always takes all day. Carmen thought bitterly.

     "What's got you looking so sour?" Switchblade asked as he walked over to her.

      "I'm sexually frustrated." Carmen said flatly.

      "Ew." Switchblade said, wrinkling his nose. "Sorry I asked."

      "Fuck you." Carmen said.

      "Back at ya—"

       "Carmen!" Maria said, running up with her arms wrapped in Christmas lights. "Are you doing to help or just stand there and pout?"

      Carmen sighed. "Well If you're going to be like that I guess I'll have to get into the holiday spirit."

     Maria bounched excitedly on her heels like a child and ran back over to the tree. Carmen stood up to follow her, but Switchblade caught her by the shoulder before she could walk off.

     "Hey, I need to talk to you before the you go to bed." He said. "It's really important."

      Carmen gave him a weird look before shrugging away from his hand.

      "Okay, But you don't have to be a cryptic weirdo about it."

       He rolled his eyes and started to make his way toward the boxes. Carmen went to follow after him but a loud knock on the door stopped her in her tracks.

      "I'll get it. I'm closest to the door." She said, turning on her heel and walking towards the entrance.

       "Tell them we don't want what they're selling!" Raven shouted. Someone snickered.

        Carmen rolled her eyes and twisted the door open.

        It took a second for her brain to process what she was looking at it. It wasn't hard for her to see the person, no, it was more that her mind didn't want her to see what was in front of her.

       Blonde, pregnant, and shivering in the cold December air.

       It was Mitzi.

In honor of my birthday I decide to post this sneak peek because I'm HELLA excited!! I'm also working on editing this book with a new cover/ new format that's easier to comment on. Let me know what you think!