Entry 8

"You've got your seatbelt on?" Switchblade asked

"Yep." She adjusted the strap as she said.

"And you've adjusted your mirrors?"

"Mhm."

"And you're close enough to reach the pedals?"

She nodded.

"Okay, press the brake and crank up the car."

"Uh—" she cautiously moved her foot, unsure of which pedal was the correct one.

"It's the one on the left."
Switchblade prompted.

"Right." She pressed the pedal, and twisted the key. The car hummed to life, the headlights illuminating the pitch black driveway. Little bugs darted back and forth through the light.

It was just the two of them. Carmen had unexpectedly been called into work to cover someone's shift. She'd left a note for Maria on her bed, telling her they could talk later.

It seemed like they wouldn't be using her car after all.

"Okay, now put it in reverse, but remember to keep your foot on the brake while you change gears."

She nodded, pulled the gear shift back until there was a soft click.

"Let your foot off of the brake." Switchblade said.

"I'm scared." She said.

"Why?"

"It's dark."

Switchblade smacked his hand against his forehead.

"Fuck." He said with a tense laugh. "I keep forgetting you can't see in the dark. It's fine, I promise."

"Okay..."

She let her foot off the brake, and the car started to slowly roll backwards. Immediately, she let out a yelp and slammed her foot back on the pedal.

The car lurched, then snapped into place, sending them forward. Maria coughed as her chest collided with the steering wheel.

"Fuck me!" Switchblade spat. Maria flinched, feeling tears prick at her eyes.

"I'm sorry! I didn't know it would move without me pressing the gas!"

Switchblade blinked at her, his blue eyes softening a bit.

"It's, it's okay." He said. "You just startled me. Come on. Let off the brake again. It's okay."

Maria took a shaky breath and nodded. She let her foot off, careful not to jerk in fear when the car started its slow roll backwards.

"Press on it, but don't slam your foot down." He said.

She did as she was told, and the car gently came to a stop. She broke out in a smile at the small victory.

Before long, she had back completely out of the driveway, and was driving slowly around the block.