Chapter Nine: Comfort

Silence consumes the studio after their conversation, and Jungkook is concerned he upset Tae. He doesn't want him to be sad, but how can someone seriously believe in everything. Especially fairies. Those can't really exist...

Or can they? A small voice in his mind says and Jungkook sighs. He doesn't know up from down right now. His life has been a mess since his parents moved to America, abandoning him in Seoul with just a fancy house and an apology. Jungkook spent most of his teenage years going out late partying with Namjoon, Suga, and Jimin, causing mayhem and chaos whenever they could. He spent more nights fucking someone instead of staying alone and getting into fights that were unnecessary.

Hoseok was his saving grace. He helped Jungkook reconcile with his abandonment issues and with his parents. He helped Jungkook get a job, quit fighting, slow down on the partying and drugs...he straightened Jungkook and the other guys out. Not like any of them really minded a decrease in the madness. Now they go out once every month. Maybe two. Not every single night.

Jungkook shakes from his thoughts as he stares at Taehyung pouting softly and desperately trying not to. He doesn't want to be a burden to Jungkook, but he can't help his sour mood. He's thinking of all the ways he can possibly convince him to believe fairies are real. Convince him that even though he sounds crazy, he wants him to believe in him.

"Jungkook...why do you believe in nothing?" Taehyung asks, his head quirked to the side.

"Straighten up...please..." Jungkook mumbles before sighing, "I haven't had the easiest past and I stopped believing in silly myths and fairy tales a long time ago..."

"But why?" That's when you need them the most!" Taehyung cries, and Jungkook looks at him with a cocked brow, and an irritated gaze.

"Why are you so insistent? What's the point in believing in something that isn't real?" Jungkook snaps, and Taehyung feels like he's been struck. With trembling hands, he clenches his fists in his shirt, trying not to cry as he flees from the studio, "Taehyung! Taehyung! Well shit..." Jungkook throws down his pencil, not caring that it split in two on the wood floor. He drops his head into his hands as his frustration consumes him. He's mad at himself, he's mad at Taehyung, he's mad at the damn world...he reaches into his back pocket, fishing out his phone before tapping on Hoseok's contact. It rings for three seconds until the usual chipper voice answers.

"Hey Jungkook, what's up?!"

"Hey, Hoseok..."

"Woah, you okay...? You don't sound too good..."

"Yeah, I'm not doing well. Can we go out tonight?" he asks, tugging on a lock of his hair.

"Sure! You wanna invite your little friend?"

"No. No...just you and the guys will be fine with me," the way Jungkook answers has Hoseok sighing.

"You two get in a fight?"

"Kinda..."

"We'll talk later. Same place as usual?" Hoseok retorts, and Jungkook smiles.

"Yeah, I'll meet you there in an hour," Jungkook says before hanging up. He goes upstairs and peaks in Tae's room, noticing his shoulders quivering as he lays face first on the bed.

"Taehyung...?" Jungkook's voice has Taehyung frozen in place, "I'm going out for a bit...I'll see you later," once the door clicks shut, Taehyung curls into a ball and cries. He takes his ring off, tossing it on the pillows as his wings unfurl and wrap around him, protecting him from the cruel mortal world. It is in this moment, he feels truly alone. He feels like a V...

...

Jungkook arrives at the abandoned railroad, the first shoots of spring splashing color around the abandoned tracks, breaking the harsh metal trails with pockets of yellows and greens. He walks the tracks in a daze, his body knowing where to go while his mind is consumed by Taehyung. He can't understand his reaction...can't understand why it's so important for him to believe...He slides the heavy door to a rail car with ease, and soft music greets his ears. Suga, Hoseok, and Namjoon are all sprawled out, beers and cigarettes already in hand as Hoseok tells one of his ridiculous stories. As soon as Jungkook flops down by Namjoon, Hoseok stops talking.

"You look like shit," he says, worry touching his voice as he passes a beer to their maknae.

"Thanks..." Jungkook sarcastically says, twisting the cap off and taking a long swig of the bitter ale.

"You said you and Taehyungie had a fight?" Hoseok mumbles and Suga sits up straight, fire in his eyes.

"Dude, I warned you about hurting Taehyung," he growls and Jungkook sighs.

"It wasn't really a fight. He's just naïve and believes in everything, and I—well yeah..." Jungkook takes another swig of beer. Suga glances at Hoseok with concern in his eyes. Both fairies know that Jin needs Jungkook to believe—and soon—yet if Taehyung failed...

"Why don't you tell us the full story?"

...

 Hey all! Sorry about the short chapter, but the next bit is rated M, so I wanted to keep it separated for all of those who don't want to read it. Thanks and I hope you enjoy the story!