ten

•••

•••

"Sir?" Gerard heard as he carried an unconscious Frank down the hall.

Turning his head he saw the head cleaning maid of the house. She looked to have urgent news but knowing her Gerard had already prepared himself for a list of things she was unhappy with.

"A moment, Magdalene, I need to get Frank to bed." Gerard said as quietly as possible.

She nodded, crossing her hands in-front of her floor-length dress and waited at her spot.

Frank's room was pitch black when Gerard walked into it. He turned on the lamp sat on Frank's nightstand that projected calming shapes that rotated slowly onto the ceiling with the click of a button. Once the room was softly lit Gerard pulled back the covers carefully with one hand while still cradling Frank in the other. Once the bed was prepared he placed the kitten down gently, which was a struggle since Frank clung onto him like a desperate baby just as he started to place him down.

"Come on," Gerard whispered to the sleeping boy. He bent down a bit so that Frank's back would graze the warmth of the bed and when it did his hands unlatched from Gerard's shoulders. "There we go."

Gerard pulled up the thick blanket up to Frank's neck and brushed a tuft of curly brown hair out of the kitten's face. He looked so peaceful in that moment. His long eyelashes still against the dusted pink skin of his cheek bones. An angel, Gerard thought. Bending down, he placed a meek kiss to the corner of Frank's mouth that was dangerously close to the boy's lips.

With a sigh, he left the room and closed the door silently. When he looked up he saw Magdalene still standing where she was minutes before, the scowl still prominent on her features.

"Now what was it that you needed to tell me?" Gerard asked, walking towards her.

"I heard you talking to that neko." She stated in her usual tone. Gerard almost rolled his eyes from the simple sentence.

"Yes?" Gerard said questioningly. "Care to join me for a glass of Merlot?" He asked politely, walking past her and towards the downstairs kitchen.

"You speak to him as if he's one of us and not an animal." She pointed out turning to follow him quickly.

"An animal? He is a hybrid, half of him is just as human as you and me." Gerard said.

Magdalene gasped, standing still for a few seconds. "Sir! how dare you compare that street cat to you and I."

"Frank is not a "street cat," Magdalene. He cost me one hundred thousand dollars."

"Sir, I understand but you let him in your office while you work!" She pressed on. "It's like you're connected by the hip."

"He's a kitten. He's clingy and gets lonely easily, what he and I do is none of your concern."

Gerard walked past her once again, going towards the wine cabinet and pulling out a bottle and two glasses.