eleven

•••

•••

Dinner after Gerard and Berts argument wasn't as awkward as expected. Instead it was full of tension and obviously hard feelings as Bert did everything in his power to annoy his boss.

It was definitely working, and Frank could tell.

He frowned at the two as Bert scowled at his master and Gerard scowled right back. They were the only three people at the table so Frank had no choice but to endure the whole dinner without another place to direct his attention to. Luckily, Bert ate quick, making sure that he didn't have to spend too much time around Gerard when he didn't have to. Bert stood up, making the chair scrape the floor creating a sound that made Frank's ears sensitive. He was truly acting like the teen that he despised being treated like.

"Could you atleast put your plate in the skink?" Gerard asked, but it was more of a demand.

Bert scowled at him and didn't say word to the man, but if looks could kill. . .

He stormed to the sink, plate in hand and Frank's eyes followed him with interest as
he did. He slammed his plate into the sink with so much force that Gerard was afraid his plate had shattered. Frank jumped at the loud sound and Gerard was quick to place a comforting hand on his thigh, moving up and down to calm him.

After the boy left Frank practically leaped into Gerard's lap.

"Frankie-"

"What's wrong with Bert? Why's he sad?" Frank asked desperately looking up at Gerard for an answer.

Gerard sighed and brought a hand up to caress Frank's cheek.

"We had a little argument and he's not to pleased with me." Gerard explained.

Frank furrowed his eyebrows and sat up more in Gerard's lap, leaning in to Gerard's sweet touch.

"What was it about, Your fight?" Frank asked.

"It wasn't a fight," Gerard corrected him, "We just- he wanted to do something and I wouldn't allow it."

"Why do you get to tell him what to do, sir?" Frank asked, "I thought humans ruled themselves."

"Yes, but Bert is prone to getting into trouble and I don't want him to do anything. . . bad." Gerard explained so that Frank would understand.

"Oh," The kitten said. "I like Bert."

"Me too, honey, that's why we're fighting. Sometimes Bert doesn't understand that." Gerard said. His own words began to pain him more and more as the conversation went on.

He realized that Frank's mind had drifted somewhere else when he saw the kitten tracing the design on his dress absentmindedly.

"I'll put away the dishes now," Gerard announced signaling Frank to hop off.