My Duty

*EDIT: WHEEZE HOW DID THIS GET 50 VOTES I'M ACTUALLY HAVING A SEIZURE

(M/N)'s pov:

Ochaco and I run up to our parents hand in hand. Beaming, with a missing tooth, I loudly declare, "Ochaco and I want to help out Mom and Dad." raising our hands together. 

"You want to work for us?"

I nodded my head violently in enthusiasm.

"Yeah when we get big, we'll help you and Mommy" Ochaco was getting a little teary beside me.

Laughing at our aspiration and innocence, father leaned down to rubbed our heads. "I appreciate the thought, Ochaco, (M/N)." he paused, "But as your dad, I'd be even happier if you could achieve your dream." Our mother stood behind him smiling softly.

"Eh... but-" I was cut off when Father turned to me. "(M/N), for now, you should focus on protecting your sister, that itself will make us happy."

Letting go of our heads, he continued, spreading his arms out, "When you achieve your dream, you can take us to Hawaii!" 

Ochaco's free hand gripped her long sweater, looking down she sighed, "Daddy..."

Seeing her like this saddened me too, I brought her to my side and fist pumped the air. "Father! I promise to protect Ochaco with my life and when I grow up, we'll become the best heroes and bring you round the world!" I declared with determination.

Letting out a boisterous laugh, Father scooped Ochaco up and grasped my tiny hand in his large calloused hands. "I'll take your word for it. But now let's just have a nice family dinner, okay? Mother cooked your favourite." he hummed as Mother grabbed my other hand and stopped me, as Father continued to walk towards the dining room with Ochaco in his arms.

Bending down to my height, Mother embraced me and softly said, "(M/N), I know you aren't going to follow what you said just now. It's just who you are, just understand, Father and I want you to be happy, so the best is for the both of you to do what you want. We'll be proud of anything you do, okay?" Nodding timidly, I gave my mother a thumbs up. She smiled and gave my forehead a small kiss. "Now, come on. I'm sure Father and Ochaco are starving right now."

Running up to match my mother's steps, I grasped her long index finger and we made our way to the dining room.

-

Dinner was filled with loud chatting, laughing and constant choking on food, that made Mother scold us till we stopped talking with our mouths full.

The carefree and joyous vibe our family gave off was heartwarming even for an outsider. I tried not to laugh as Mother pats my back for the 4th time I choked during the meal. Father's exuberant laugh and Ochaco's soft giggles even made  mother let out a small chuckle as she hands me a glass of water.

I teared up from the choking and gulped down the liquid. "Anyways, finishing what I was saying before." I immediately continued, disregarding the slight itch at the back of my throat.

-

Dinner ended in a flash. With Ochaco siting on the toilet lid a tooth brush in her mouth, I can feel her gaze on my short self trying to see myself in the mirror over the sink, before giving up and grabbing a short stepping ladder. 

I spat out my mouthful of toothpaste bubbles and rinsed out my mouth. Turning around with a smile, I said to Ochaco, "I'm done, you can go now." Giving me a silent nod, she brushed past me and finished brushing her own teeth. 

Slightly worried by her silent attitude, I frowned walking up next to her and patted her on the head like Father would. "You really wanted to help out Father and Mother with work, didn't you?" Again, all I received was a silent nod as she leaned into my side.

Determined to make her smile, I turned to face her and beamed at her, "How about we make a deal Ochaco, when I grow up and am able to help out Father and Mother, I'll do your part of the work for you?" Her eyes widened in surprise, "No way, then it would be unfair for you. You will be doing more than you should. I should be doing my own part." I paused, thinking of a response.

"Ochaco, I don't mind doing extra work for your sake, my achievements, are also your achievements. But, don't worry though, you have to do something for me in return."

"What is it?!" Ochaco immediately asked.

"I want you to keep on smiling forever, always look to the positive side. Just because you aren't able to physically help us out, it doesn't mean you can't do other things to help us. Just seeing you smile can keep Father, Mother and I happy."

I paused, lifting out my pinkie, "That is why, Uraraka Ochaco, do you promise to forever smile and be positive for the sake of, I, Uraraka (M/N)." 

Shakily lifting her pinkie, she stared at me, "Are you sure you are okay with this arrangement?" she asked, slightly pouting. Nodding my head vigorously, I pushed my hand out further, encouraging her to make the promise. 

Hesitantly wrapping her pinkie around mine, she said to me, "I promise." 

Beaming, I wrap my pinkie around hers securely. "Then that's settled. Now show me that smile of yours." I released her pinkie and reached out to stretch her chubby cheeks. "Ah, (M/N) that hurts, stop it." Laughing, I release her slightly reddened cheeks and poke at them. "Then quickly show me that smile of yours or I'll invite the tickle monster over to help me."

Squealing at my statement, Ochaco ran away from me with a laugh, "Okay, okay, I did it. Now, come on, let's get to bed." Rushing off to the bedroom with another stream of laughs.

Laughing at her attitude, I run after her. Smiling to myself. 'This is the least I can do for now.'

Hi it's my first book. Obviously it's going to be sh*tty I'm an inexperienced young bud. But I hope you like it and just to let you know the first 5 chapters won't have anything related to the official storyline since you'll need all the backstory I can give.