Chapter 17

Paps's POV

(Y/n) just fell asleep on me, and Undyne wrapped her up in a blanket. I looked to Undyne with concern towards what just happened. She seemed to know what I was thinking as she prepared to respond. "Y-You want to know what all j-just happened don't you?" Undyne asked me. I looked down at (Y/n) and then back up to her and nodded my head. "S-So basically, the shot you gave her was e-experimental 'determination' h-her soul had pure u-unfiltered determination flowing from it and that experimental 'determination' was supposed to seal the wound and p-prevent more determination from escaping. I-I needed you to inject her for that while I healed her soul so that her soul wouldn't be damaged in the process of the injection. Th-Then once you were done, m-my healing magic would actually heal whatever in-injury was left over," Undyne explained making me nod my head.

"alright, so basically the experimental 'determination' was doing most of the work?" I asked just for clarity.

"Precisely," Undyne said with a nod of her head.

"ok... and is that supposed to work on monsters?" I asked her again.

"W-Well, that's the thing... I-It's actually too powerful for m-monsters. H-Human souls are able to take it well c-considering they are made out of determination, b-but monsters... I-I just n-need to continue my research is a-all I can r-really say," she said while scratching her neck from nerves.

"mmm... well ok that's understandable, so this is what the queen is having you work on?" I asked her with a cocked brow.

"Y-Yes... she m-mostly wants me to do r-research on th-the souls and d-determination itself to see i-if there could be a-a possible plan of e-escape without killing a-anymore humans. W-We mostly just n-need to keep (Y/n) and her sister a-away from the queen, u-until I finish my r-research," Undyne told me making me nod my head.

"...but how long is that going to take?" I asked her.

"...I-I have no idea... b-but! W-With having (Y/n) here I-I could probably increase my r-research tenfold! A-As long as she'd be o-ok with me running s-some tests, of course, I may be a-able to make a breakthrough!" She said getting excited. I smiled at her, but I didn't bother getting my hopes up for our escape any time soon. Besides, being stuck down here with (Y/n) and the kid will actually make being stuck down here tolerable.

After a few minutes of pleasant chitchat with Undyne, I began to feel (Y/n) twitching in her sleep. She was probably about to wake up. I looked over to face her and she began to open her eyes.

Your POV

You continued to feel a warm presence on your stomach and your chest throughout your sleep. It felt so pleasant and soothing, much better from how those areas felt earlier ago. However, while you slept those feelings seemed to fade away causing you to feel unrest. You began to open your eyes from the loss of the warm sensation.

When you opened your eyes, you saw Papyrus looking down at you. You realized you had fallen asleep on him after that intense healing session and began to blush. "mornin' hun, you get a good rest?" He asked you making you contemplate on what time it was.

"Wait, how long was I asleep?" You asked him.

"not long at all. you were only really out for about fifteen minutes," He told you making you furrow your brow in thought.

"Hmm... well ok, I feel surprisingly well rested," You told him.

"Th-That would probably be the 'd-determination' Papyrus injected you with. I-It's basically supposed to... uh... l-liven you up in a sense," Undyne said as she scratched her neck in slight nerves.

"Oh! That's pretty cool, is that why I had a warm feeling in my chest and stomach?" You asked Undyne.

"Y-Yes actually! Th-That feeling was the 'determination' combined with r-remnants of my healing magic continuing its w-work on the internal damage to your soul and b-body," Undyne explained making you nod your head in both understanding and amazement.

"That's really something, I appreciate everything you've done for me today, Undyne," You told her in thanks.

"I-It was no problem," Undyne said. "B-But... do you m-mind me asking i-if I run some t-tests on you... f-for my research of course!" Undyne said sounding afraid to ask.

"Well... sure I guess. When would you want to do them and how long would they take?" You asked.

"I-I can do the tests whenever just as long as you are prepared for it," Undyne responded.

"Mmm, well ok, so I guess I'd be good to go with the tests tomorrow. I just want to continue exploring and making friends today," You explained to Undyne.

"O-Oh, that's great! I-I didn't think you'd be so willing t-to do them, and so soon no less!" Undyne said with surprise.

"Well yeah, you helped me, doing these tests would be the least I could do. Plus, we're friends and I trust you, Undyne," You told her with a smile on your face making Undyne relax.

"Th-Thank you so much, (Y/n)," She said in thanking you for participating in the future tests.

"No problem," You told her, you then looked back to Papyrus the blush growing back on your face. "Hey um... Pap?" You called to him getting his attention to which he hummed in response. "Do you- uh- mind going over there for a sec?" You said pointing to the opposite direction of the lab. "I gotta put my shirt back on, eheh," You said slightly embarrassed making the blush on your face flare, on Papyrus's face as well.

"o-oh right! i forgot you weren't wearing a shirt under your blanket, eheh," He said somewhat flustered. "yeah, no problem," He said getting up allowing you to put your shirt back on. You could hear Undyne have the faintest of giggles towards yours and Papyrus's conversation. Undyne also turned around for your privacy's sake. You then quickly threw your shirt back on already feeling much more comfortable in this situation.

"Ok, I'm decent," You told them both and they, in turn, turned around to face you.

"(Y-Y/n) I'd like to give you my number s-so w-we can talk more a-about these tests later this evening... and for recreational purposes maybe..." She mumbled the last part under her breath making you giggle lightheartedly.

"I'd love to hang out with you outside of the tests, Undyne," You told her to ease her worries. "We can spill tea and watch anime," You told her making her light up at the thought of watching anime together.

"Th-That sounds amazing!" Undyne exclaimed with excitement. You then gave her your phone so she could put her number in your contacts and she handed you hers to do the same. Once you both finished putting each other's numbers in, you handed each other's phones back. "I-I guess I'll see you tomorrow," Undyne said expressing her goodbyes.

"That you shall," You told her. Papyrus then wrapped an arm around your waist, ushering you back in the direction in which you both entered the lab.

"see you later, 'dyne," Papyrus said telling her goodbye.

"G-Goodbye you two," She told you both as you two exited the lab back into the hotlands.