Chapter 18

"Wait, what're we doing now?" You asked Papyrus with confusion, seeing as you were back at the lab's entrance and not continuing further into the hotlands.

"well, i figured since the kid is currently befriending alphys that i'd take you there for good measure," Papyrus said making you hum in thought.

"...okaaay? But isn't she dangerous?" You asked. "Wait... why did we even let Chara go to befriend her?!"

"relax, sans is there, remember? it'll be fine," he said as he gave your hand a reassuring squeeze.

"Oh... yeah... right," you said as you slowly remembered the conversation the two of you had when you both let Chara go.

"anyway, you wanna go meet alphys?" He asked you.

"Yeah, sure. I'm sure the kiddo has already eased the situation..."

Chara's POV

"OH GOD FIRE!" I exclaimed as the oven blew up.

Your POV

"...Yeah, I'm sure it's fine," you said just for good measure.

"heh, well alright, let's take the river person. kinda forgot to mention them to the kid... whoops," he said as he scratched the back of his skull.

"Pfft, wow, nice one, Papy," you said as you lightly elbowed his side. He merely chuckled in response and then you both proceeded to move down a slope to a silent river with a person on a boat.

(I can't remember who the river person is for underswap, soooo it's just gonna be the normal river person.)

"Greetings, I am the river-man. Or am I the river-woman? It doesn't really matter. Besides, I'm sure you already knew that... (Y/n)..." the river person said making you utterly confused and concerned.

"Wait how did you-" you began to ask with concern only to be cut off by the river person.

"It doesn't necessarily matter. Names are but names, a mere word of identification. What truly matters now is to look to the future, for the angel is among us. What will they do for the fate of the monsters?" They spoke as you and Papyrus carefully went onto the boat.

"What do you mean by 'the angel'?" You asked with wonder as the boat began to drift down the river.

"The angel of legend. They have descended from the surface to the land of the monsters. They will leave the mountain empty... how they go about it is ultimately their decision."

"What do you mean by 'how they go about it'? And who is they?" You said growing concerned by what the river person was saying. By they could they mean me or Chara? And what on earth do they mean by 'how they go about it'?

"We are here. Waterfall is where you wanted to go correct?" The river person said making you hum a yes, however, still confused. You and Papyrus then stepped off the boat and continued walking forward.

"Wait we didn't tell them where we wanted to go!" You suddenly exclaimed making Papyrus nod his head and hum in response.

"...yeah... basically i prefer my shortcuts. i'm pretty sure their magic has to do with knowing things. essentially like being a psychic," he told you making you nod your head.

"But what about the legend they were talking about? What about the 'angel from the surface'? Who was the 'they' in which they spoke of?" You continued to ask only for Papyrus to shush you.

"calm down, you're getting worked up over nothing. just don't worry about it. i can tell you all about the legend later. let's just see what alph and the kid are doi- oh shit." He said as he cut himself off when you both approached Alphys's house. Your eyes went wide at the sight you saw. A dinosaur looking house was burning to a crisp. It appeared to be crying like in that episode of spongebob where he wouldn't write his essay.

"Oh my God, CHARA!!!" You exclaimed as you pried away from Papyrus as you dashed towards the burning house.

"(y/n)!" Papyrus exclaimed only for you to be forcefully held still by a heavy weight on your being. "(y/n), slow your roll. the kid isn't inside." Papyrus said as he teleport in front of you.

"Ugh! How do you know?! Let me go!" You exclaimed with frustration in fear of your baby sister being burnt to a crisp. 

"look, this isn't the first time alph has burnt down her house while cooking. i'm positive they escaped, let's just call sans," he said as he pulled out his phone still not removing you from whatever hold he had on you. He then proceeded to call Sans, and fortunately for you, Sans talks loud so you could hear him on the other end of the phone.

"HELLO BROTHER! WHY HAVE YOU CALLED? DID YOU JUST WANT TO TALK TO YOUR COOL BROTHER?!" Sans asked with excitement.

"yeah, about that, (y/n) and i are at alphys's house and it's on fire. are her and the kid ok?" Papyrus asked Sans with concern.

"OH! OF COURSE! ALPHYS CAME OVER HERE AFTERWARDS AND TOLD ME ABOUT IT. APPARENTLY THEY BECAME BESTIES WHILE COOKING AND THEN THE HOUSE CAUGHT ON FIRE DUE TO A STOVE EXPLOSION! THEY THEN PARTED WAYS. I LITERALLY JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH THE SMALL HUMAN A MINUTE AGO, APPARENTLY THEY WENT BACK TO THE HOTLANDS!" Sans explained the tale making you sigh with relief.

"alright, thanks for the info, bro," Papyrus told Sans with a smile on his face seeing you calm down.

"OH! COULD YOU TWO COME TO THE HOUSE FOR A MINUTE? I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO (Y/N) AND HAVE HER BEFRIEND ALPHYS, SO WE CAN ALL BE THE BESTIES!" Sans exclaimed with excitement making you giggle.

"nyeh, alright, sure thing, bro, see you in a minute," Papyrus said before hanging up. "you ready to go befriend alph, hun?" Papyrus asked you as he released you from his magical hold while shoving his phone in his pocket.

"Heh, you bet I am! Just as long as there's no fire involved," you said while scratching your neck.

"yeah, about that, please don't make an effort to try and kill yourself again please. you really scared the crap outta me trying to run in there," he said as he pointed to the burning building behind him.

"Eheh, welp, when it comes to the life of my baby sibs, I can't give you any promises," you said as you scratched the back of your neck from nerves.

"nyeh... can't say i don't blame ya," he said as he wrapped an arm around your waist.

"Oh! Do you mind if we walk for a bit before you just take a shortcut?" Papyrus raised a brow at that practically asking you to elaborate. "Basically, I wanna talk about what the river person said." Papyrus awed at your statement in understanding as he agreed. You two then continued on your venture back to Snowdin town.

"so, what do you need answered again?"