Chapter 21

You approached the river person and they were oddly quiet. You gave them a timid hello as you stood next to the boat, waiting for permission to come aboard. "Greetings (y/n), where's Papyrus?" he said as he turned to face you. You could catch a glimpse of his face, from the little you saw, it was pure white.

"He's back at his house, hangin' out with Sans... why?" You asked as you carefully stepped onto the boat.

"...no reason..." he said sadly as the boat pushed off.

You felt bad and you didn't even really know why. This guy has only been mysterious and confusing to you with all the knowledge he holds. You, feeling pangs of sympathy, decided to ask him what was wrong. "Is... something wrong?"

"..." he remained silent for a long moment. "Mistakes can ruin many things... Apologies can prove responsibility and will to change... Forgiveness can strengthen bonds and begin the healing of old wounds... However... It takes more than one to fulfill the process." He seemed to answer in riddles.

"Wait... does that have to do with you and Papyrus?" You asked only to receive silence. "River person?" You said receiving silence yet again. You could only assume he was done talking. The rest of the ride was awkward silence.

"We've arrived at hotlands," was all he said as you stepped off the boat.

"Still dunno how you knew where I wanted to go without me telling you but whatevs I guess. I'll see you in a few." You then walked up the stairs and knocked on Undyne's door to the lab. You stood there for a minute and she didn't answer, so you felt awkward. You scratched your neck nervously as you looked at the letter in your hand and thought to yourself. Hmmm... she's obviously busy right now... do I just slide it under the door? What if she's actually tied up or something and is in danger?! No, that's pretty much just movie stuff... then again the monsters are actually real, and any other person would only assume legends or movies- Wait I'm getting off track! I'm just gonna slide this under the door.

You proceeded to slide the note under the door and then turned around to walk away. The moment you turned your back you heard Undyne mumbling something. Going against your better judgement and knowing this wasn't your business you decide to linger for a sec to over hear what she was saying.

"O-Oh no, not another one of these..." she said as she must've noticed the envelope. "D-Do I throw it away? N-No... that's rude..." she said reluctantly making you cock a brow in confusion. You could then hear the opening of the envelope and that's when you decided you may have over stayed your welcome. You began trying to sneak away at a brisk pace only for Alphys to open the door. "L-Look if this is some kind of- (Y-Y/n)?!" She exclaimed in confusion.

"Heeeeey," You said as you turned around. Welp... hope she's not mad at me for kinda eavesdropping.

"(Y/n)... d-did... did you write this?" She asked me.

"Oh... oh. OH!" You said at first with relief but then you steadily realized what she asked. "Look 'dyne-" you began to say only to get cut off.

"(Y-Y/n), th-this is so detailed, do you really have such... f-feelings for me?" She asked making it difficult for you to come up with a reply.

"W-Wait, Undyne-!" You began only to get cut off yet again.

"I-I thought you and Papyrus... oh my G-God what will Papyrus th-think?!" She exclaimed seemingly worried.

"Undyne, Please-" you tried to explain yourself yet again only to get cut off.

"(Y/n), shush," she shushed you. "I will go out with you, but Papyrus deserves to know, you call him while I go get dressed for our date." She then closed the door, leaving you in shock. You instantly pulled out your phone and called Sans. Sans answered his phone on the first ring.

"HELLO (Y/N), DID EVERYTHING GO WELL WITH UNDYNE?" He asked you nearly blowing out your ear drums.

"Um... kinda? Could you put Paps on the phone for a sec?" You said still baffled with what just happened.

"RIGHT AWAY HUMAN!" Sans said as he handed his brother the phone.

"heya hun, what's up?" Papyrus asked you as casual as ever.

"Hey so um... I'm in kinda a pickle." You said that and he was instantly concerned.

"what?! what happened, what's going on?!" He asked, clearly not keeping his cool.

"Look, that letter Alphys had me deliver, Undyne thinks I wrote it and she thinks I want to go on a date with her. She's getting ready right now." You explained in a slight frenzy.

"oooh... well uh... it's not like you want to date her right?" He said seeming slightly down.

"Paps, nothing against Undyne, but I'm not interested in her in that way." You said clearly.

"well did you tell her that?" He asked seeming confused.

"I tried! She wouldn't gimme room to talk!"  You exclaimed.

"alright, just calm down, i know 'dyne well enough, this whole thing will probably blow over. just incase, i know where she likes to hangout, that's probably where y'all will go, so we'll meet you guys there, sound good?" Papyrus explained making you calm down.

"Alright, sounds good." You said with a sigh of relief.

"ok, see ya later, hun," Papyrus said.

"Later, Papy," you said as you hung up and put your phone in your pocket. Undyne came out a few minutes later in a cute black dress with white dots. She even cleaned up her messy bun, her hair was down and in loose curls. You weren't gonna lie, she looked really good.

"H-How do I look?" She asked timidly.

"You look great, Undyne, you have any place in mind you like to go?" You asked with a raised brow.

"Mmm... I always enjoy going to the dump with Alphys," she said making you hum both in thought and agreement. Ima take a wild guess and say she's into Alphys. Papyrus must know that considering he said he 'knows 'dyne well enough'.

"Alrighty, the dump it is," you said as you both then proceeded to walk towards the waterfalls.

(I know I said in the past I didn't know who the river person and Gaster were supposed to be in this AU and therefore the river person is still the river person, but in attempt to develop AU accuracy, I've made a plot for 'the river person')