chapter four.

CHAPTER FOUR

【CHAPTER FOUR】

Sara stumbled onto the ground, her heart racing unnaturally fast and the black energy still curling around her fingertips. She inhaled shakily, unable to think properly. She couldn't even believe that had actually worked. The rough ground under her palms made her hiss in pain. She sat back on her legs, wiped her palms off on her pants before carefully pushing herself onto her feet.

It was then that she noticed Loki. He stood on an edge of a cliff, his hands still bound in front of him while he stared at her with a look of amusement and indifference. Sara swallowed, wiping her palm nervously against her thigh. She hadn't really thought this through. She had just seen both Tony and Steve jump into action and had wanted to prove herself, wanted to show Natasha she could do something.

"Those abilities of yours," Loki quizzed. "How did you acquire them?"

Sara scanned him carefully. Why didn't he take his chance and escape? She didn't see any of the other three men around so Steve and Tony were probably preoccupied with Thor. "I don't know, born with them, I guess." Sara hesitated. "How come you're in so much pain?"

She immediately regretted the question when a guarded and angered look overcame the previous one on Loki's face. She sighed to herself, realizing that the question was a stupid one. Loki obviously had some issues. No one tries to take over another planet just because they were bored (hopefully). There's always an ulterior motive, something happening behind the scenes. Women murder men because they're being abused, parents abuse their children because they were abused when they were younger. No one does something just because.

"I can take it," Sara stated. A look of confusion flashed in his eyes. "Your pain," She clarified. She saw his anger start to resurface so she quickly tried to explain. "Along with my weird energy power, I have this thing with pain. I can feel it, I can take my own and give it to someone, or amplify it in someone else. So if I could do all that then I should be able to take some, right?"

Loki watched her carefully as she rambled to him. In the back of her mind, she knew telling this much to Loki couldn't really be a good thing but the more dominant side of her just hated seeing people in pain or afraid. It's who she was. Even before the powers.

"Look, let me just," Sara muttered before taking a few large steps towards Loki. Without even really thinking about what she was doing, she rested her left hand on his cheek, concentrated on the pain she felt in him, and pulled.

Her knees buckled. Loki, surprised at how badly it physically affected her, grabbed onto her waist to keep her up. She gasped for air as a deep, searing burn took over every single nerve that traveled throughout her body. She couldn't form words as the overbearing amount of pain rooted itself in her mind and heart. It curled like a venomous snake and started squeezing. With whatever strength she had left, she rested her hands on Loki's shoulders and pushed herself away from him.