V

"Why did love put a knife in my heart?Why did love open up my scars?Why did love put a knife in my heart?In my bed, in my head, in my heart

Why did love open up my scars?
Why did love put a knife in my heart?
In my bed, in my head, in my heart."

***

'You came,' Esther said, smiling at Zari.

'If you were doubting whether I'd show at all, you shouldn't be so cryptic with your messages. You could've just asked me in person.'

Esther sat down on her couch, 'To be honest, I didn't want everyone to know.'

'Yeah, you're definitely a tad creepy.'

Esther smiled, 'When I touched your hand, when we met, I felt something... I saw something.'

Zari frowned, 'In case you didn't notice, this is not helping.'

'I'm a witch, as you might know. Therefore I can see things, things that are supposed to happen. The way fate is supposed to go,' She explained, 'And you are destined to be with my children, you are destined to lead them to the light and away from the dark. You'll be their sister and for one you'll be a lover. A soulmate.'

Zari froze, 'You... You... You can't. You're bullshitting me. Just. Fuck off! Fuck off you witch bitch!'

'Please, you have to calm down. Don't you see? You're Elijah's soulmate, not many get a soulmate. This is a blessing.'

'Well it's not a blessing to me!' her voice failed, 'you've got the wrong girl. I don't believe in soulmates, I don't do love. It only causes pain, it only makes one weak.'

Tears welled up in Zari's eyes as she stormed out of the room, she wiped them away as she ran down the stairs and put on her fake smile.

Elijah stepped towards her, 'Za'Rijah? What did my mother say?'

'Nothing!' she snapped.

Elijah frowned, 'Za'Rijah, I can hear your heartbeat. Don't lie to me.'

'Oh fuck off, you Original pain in the arse,' Zari muttered as she ran outside, tears threatening to roll down.

***

Zari woke up with a pounding headache, she rolled out of bed and sighed as she hit the floor. She went to her fridge, only to realise that she'd been eating at the Mystic Grill all week and hadn't actually done grocery shopping yet. A groan escaped her mouth as she closed the door of the fridge, she slipped into her jeans and sweater and grabbed her keys.

'I'll have some french toast and a hot chocolate,' Zari said to the bartender. She scanned the diner for a spot, until she saw Alaric at the bar and walked up to him, 'Hello Ric, hello Dr. psycho.'

Meredith looked up, 'You also think I'm a serial killer?'

Zari shrugged, 'You could've taken it as a compliment you know.'

'Don't mind her, she doesn't actually think you're a serial killer,' Alaric told her.

'Aww, standing up for each other now? Cute. Of course she's not a serial killer, she doesn't have it in her eyes.'

'I don't have it in my eyes?' Meredith asked her, confused.

'Yep. You have a sweet look about you, serial killers don't. Just take a look at those two,' Zari told her as Kol and Niklaus walked inside.

'Ah, come on now. Let's not go blaming the new family in town. Just 'cause you lot have got yourselves a killer at large. Don't mind us. My brother and I are here just to let off some steam. Right, Kol?'

'Right.'

Zari rolled her eyes, 'We all know you're serial killers. I don't think you killed those people of the council, but, you're no soft bunnies either.'

Kol smirked, 'Neither are you, I believe.'

Zari glared at him, 'None of your fu-' she was interrupted by someone placing her order in front of her and a smile graced her lips, 'Food!'

'Zari? Did you get drunk last night?'

Zari smiled at Alaric, her mouth stuffed with french toast, 'What makes you think that?'

'You did, didn't you?' Alaric sighed.

'No judging, you get drunk all the time.'

'You get drunk when something upsets you and you don't want to face your emotions.'

Zari smiled and grabbed her plate and mug, glancing at Niklaus, Kol, Alaric and Meredith, 'Nice talk, but I think it's better if I sit at an actual table while eating my breakfast.'

'Who is she?' Meredith asked as Zari had picked a table across the bar.

Alaric sighed, 'I consider her my daughter.'

Niklaus snickered, 'I feel sorry for you, mate. She's a handful.'

Alaric shot him a glare, 'How do you know her?'

Kol laughed, 'Ouch... You don't even know who your daughter befriends with. She's besties with Rebekah and I think Elijah has taken quite the liking for her as well.'

'You stay away from her!'

'What are you going to do?' Niklaus asked him, 'She's her own person and she doesn't like to be ordered about. I don't think you're the kind of guy to lock her down.'

Alaric was fuming, 'You don't know a single thing of what she's been through. I'd never lock her down or force her to do anything.'