VIII

"We're hell raising, and we don't need saving

and we don't need saving.
'Cause there's no salvation for a bad girl."

'Come on Anatoly, we're eating at the Mystic Grill,' Zari told him kindly.

Anatoly huffed, 'Mystic Falls, Mystic High, Mystic Grill... This town is terrible.'

'They have alcohol at the Mystic Grill.'

'Coming.'

Zari grinned as she stepped inside her car and they drove to the only diner in town, 'Remember, try to filter away that Russian accent as much as you can.'

Not much later they arrived at the Grill, it was more crowded than usual, but Zari could find them a booth. Anatoly smiled at the waiter, 'The strongest drink you have.'

Zari grinned, 'One for me as well.'

Meredith walked inside, noticing Za'Rijah immediately and she rushed over to her. 'Hey. I'm sorry. I was wondering how Alaric's doing?'

Zari frowned as she made place for Meredith to join, 'I'm sorry?'

'You don't know.'

Zari's knuckles turned white and Anatoly smiled awkwardly, 'Best to explain. She's been out of town for awhile.'

Zari slammed her fist on the table, 'Elena has my phone number! So does Damon. Why am I never informed about anything?!'

'Alaric has been getting these herbs to help him, but Damon came to inform me this morning. Alaric, he's not taking them.'

Zari glanced at Meredith, worry shining through her eyes, 'So now he's going to go full psycho.'

Meredith nodded and Anatoly just sat there as the waiter brought them their drinks, 'I have no idea what you are talking about.'

'Thank you, Meredith,' Zari said and Meredith smiled at her, leaving the table. 'I have someone to track down.'

'Thought you were going to party,' Anatoly said as he downed the alcohol and moved to Zaro's glass.

'Fuck. First the stupid party, then I will track him down.'

***

'Thank you, for dropping me off.'

'No problem, favourite assassin.'

Zari rolled her eyes as she stepped out of the car, 'You really need to stop calling me that in public.' She glanced down at her dress and cried out, 'I look absolutely ridiculous.'

'You look wonderful, now go and dance,' Anatoly told her, while he started to laugh.

'Yeah, laugh all you want. If you had a friend like Rebekah, you'd know that no matter how badass you are... You can't deny her her parties.'

'But I don't have friend like Rebekah,' smugness clear in his voice.

'Oh sod off.' Zari turned around and walked inside, letting the loud music and the smell of booze and sweat greet her. She mingled her way through the crowd, towards the darkest corner of the room. She looked around from her safe spot, analysing the crowd.

The slow dance music started and Zari groaned, 'Not a big fan of the twenties?'

Zari looked up to see Elijah, 'I thought you were to insulted to ever speak to me again.'

'Rebekah has a way of twisting words and a way of convincing me to come to a party she isn't even going to herself, apparently.'

'I know the feeling,' Zari complained and Elijah held out his hand. 'Oh no... I can't... I've had to much alcohol.'

Elijah however didn't move and from Zari's lips escaped a sigh of defeat as she grabbed his hand. He placed hand on his waist and Zari couldn't help but remember what Esther told her. She and Elijah gently swayed around the floor, 'My apologies for being so persistent on knowing what was going on, the night of the ball. I know you didn't have anything to do with that.'

Zari glanced at his lips as they moved, 'You better.'

'Something's wrong,' Elijah whispered.

Zari blinked, coming back out of her daze. Elijah grabbed her hand and she followed with a frown plastered on her face, she snatched a red cup from alcohol and chugged it down. Why did she let herself get so distracted?

'Brother, may ask what is going on?'

Niklaus looked up, 'Mother's back and she has trapped us in the building.'

'What are her intentions?'

'She has the doppelgänger.'

Zari sighed, 'Jesus, that girl is a danger magnet.'

'And she has the hunter.'

Zari froze, her face turned white and her heart dropped, 'What?'

Niklaus glanced at the girl, 'She has Alaric.'

'I need to leave,' Zari announced but she stopped dead in her tracks as Elijah had his hand still wrapped around her wrist, 'Would you be so kind to let me go?'

'She is powerful, she could kill you.'

Zari pried her hand from his grip, 'Yes, well. I'm no bunny either.'

Niklaus glanced at his elder brother, surprised to see worry in his eyes and even more surprised to hear the following words leave his lips, 'Just be careful.'

Zari however, just grinned, 'Oh hun', I don't do careful.'

***

Zari came running to the woods, only to find Esther wounded on the ground. Alaric, Jeremy and Elena standing around her body. 'Oh fuck, I'm too late.'

Alaric looked up at her and pulled her into an embrace, making Zari pet his back awkwardly. Alaric pulled away to look at her, 'I'm in transition, Za'Rijah.'

Zari stiffened, 'What?'

'I'm not gonna complete the transition. My dark side was dangerous enough as a human. I can't be a vampire.'

Zari pushed herself out of his hold, 'No.' Tears started pooling in her eyes, 'You can't do that! You can't just leave me! You can't do that to me! I'm not letting you!'

'Za'Rijah... please...' Alaric begged.

'You can't! I need you! You can't leave me!' She started yelling.

'Please, Za'Rijah, would you look after Jeremy and Elena for me?'

Zari glanced at Elena and Jeremey and started sputtering, 'You're- You're asking me to look after two teenagers?! Are you completely mad?! You're telling me you're going to die, leaving me and then you decide to give me two teenagers to look after as well?!'

'They're basically adults, you don't have to looks after them... just keep an eye out. For me, please.'

Tears streamed down Zari's cheeks and she wiped them away as soon as she could, 'Okay...'

'Damon will be there to take care of everything. You shouldn't be here,' Alaric told her and he paused, tears welling up in his eyes as well, 'Don't bring Esther back to life just to torture her.'

Zari looked down at the woman, her knuckles turning white as she balled her fists, 'Don't you dare ask that of me as well.'

Alaric smiled at her, tears in his eyes, 'Take care of yourself, Za'Rijah. I know you're not good at doing that, but try. And open yourself up to people.'

Zari hit him softly, 'Don't do that father to daughter speech thing. That's just stupid.'

Alaric nodded and hugged her, Zari squeezing her eyes shut in attempt to keep the tears from rolling down.