VI

"I got lots of jealous lovers that all wish they had me back

Got a pistol for a mouth, my own mother gave me that.
Making my own road out of gravel and some wine.
And if I have to fall then it won't be in your line."

'How are you holding up?'

'I should be asking you that, Felicity. I'm doing fine,' Zari told her through the phone as she stirred her cup of tea.

'I'm coping. And you're not fine, which is quite unusual for you. You're always fine, something has the deadliest assassin in the world upset. Should I be worried?'

'No, it's stupid.'

'It's bothering you anyway, so tell me.'

Zari scanned the Mystic Grill for prying ears before saying, 'I met a witch and she told me something... something quite disturbing.'

'Go on.'

'Well, apparently, I have a destiny. Sort of like a prophecy, like the one my father believed in, that the one who survived his blade would be his heir. Except my destiny is... to be a family's redemption. And a soulmate, that too.'

'I didn't even know soulmates existed. But that's amazing! Someone to look after you, you need that. You need to get to know love. Is he hot? Or is it a she?'

'He's very handsome, but I barely know him. I don't want this. I don't want my fate to be bound and especially not to a person.'

'You're afraid he'll let you down.'

'No. I'm afraid that if my destiny is chained to a person I will go down with them if something happens. I can't depend on people like that, I can't give another person the power to destroy me. That's not what I want.'

'That's fear, Za'Rijah.'

'I don't care.'

'Well then, suck it up. My soulmate is in prison, you better take a leap of faith, or I will blow up your computer.'

Zari sighed and from the corner of her eye she saw Meredith walking up to her, 'Sorry, gotta go.' And she hung up.

'Zari, I need to tell you something. Alaric is not himself,' she said as she sat down on the opposite booth.

'What's going on?'

'He stabbed me, yesterday and-'

'He did what?!' Zari exclaimed, knocking over her tea.

Meredith grabbed the napkins, 'He has a ring, a Gilbert heirloom that can help him to cheat death. But it's making him sick, he was the one that killed people, he has been cleared... I'm worried about him. Elena knows, but...'

Zari glanced down, 'Elena knows, but I don't? Why did no one tell me?'

'I'm sorry,' Meredith whispered, 'It's just that, I know her better and I thought of her first. I mean, first I thought the Mikaelson's were killing those people, but most of them skipped town.'

'Excuse me?'

'You didn't know that either...' Meredith whimpered as she tried to resist punching herself in the face.

'No, I didn't,' Zari muttered, 'I better go see Alaric.'

***

'Hello Damon, mind letting me inside?' Zari asked as she stood outside Alaric's apartment

'Well here's the thing, I can't let-'

Zari raised her knee, slamming it between his legs and gently pushed him aside. Damon groaned as he stumbled backwards and Zari noticed the woodcutting machine. 'Nice, you're making stakes. What's so special about that sign?'

Stefan smiled, 'It's from the Wickery Bridge, made of White Oak tree. It can kill an Original. Damon slept with Rebekah and saw in her mind that there was another tree, one they hadn't burned down. But the White Oak was cut down and made into a bridge. Then Rebekah burned down the bridge and forgot the sign.'

Zari turned to Damon and punched him, breaking his nose. Damon whimpered, 'Jesus! Who taught you how to fight?!'

Zari smiled, 'That's what you get for screwing my best fried for intel.'

'So I take it you're not in? With making the stakes?' Stefan asked, 'Are you going to tell Rebekah?'

Zari glanced at Alaric, he had so much on his plate already, 'I'll give you a head start.'

'You never told you were friends with Rebekah.'

'Alaric, she's a bitch, but I've grown to like that about her and I respect someone who knows how to survive.'

Suddenly the lights were dimmed and there was a knock on the door, Damon went to open it. But no one was there, the lights went back on and Zari noticed a USB stick laying in front of her. 'Gotta go, see you soon.'

Damon frowned as Zari left, 'What the hell?'