chapter 7

beekeeper- Keaton Henson (chosen because of its relation to how I would imagine the doctors internal dialogue/ monologue would go) 

(yaz's POV)

I take her hand to guide her to my flat, I know it isn't needed but being with her comforts me, and I need to know she wont walk off. She catches up and we walk side by side, hand in hand, to see my mum. Before we go into that flat I stop us, pulling her back to face me, I feel like I'm briefing someone but I need to warn her. "my mum, she'll be surprised to see us, well to see you and please try to focus, we need to explain to her. Everything"

"we??" She questions, so adorable that she is slightly behind.

"well, there are certain things that need clearing up between us, because there's a question she will ask straight away. Are we seeing each other? We say no. Deny any deep-rooted feelings we may have, say no. We need to get straight to the point." I shouldn't have said "we", she might get the wrong idea but there is no time to let her think it all over so I re-grip my hand around hers and lead her towards my flat. I refuse to meet her eyes until after this debacle is over with, I can't bear the idea of meeting them as she spills her story, all 2000 years of it, they'll break me. Her hazel eyes will burn through me and I will not be able to hold myself together,  but for now I have to. We knock on the door and I let go of her hand.

"coming" I hear my mum shout from inside and this all becomes too real, the concept of explaining to my mum that I've been travelling in time with an alien, older than the bible, dawns on me, what if she doesn't believe me. I look over to the woman next to me and give her a comforting nod just as the door opens.

"doctor?" My mum looks her up and down, realising this will not be a light hearted visit, 'come in, take a seat. The sofa may not be purple, but its comfy. I'll stick the kettle on. Yaz. Tea?" I nod and take the doctor to my settee letting her remove her coat and pass it back to me. I throw it in my room without thinking alongside my own coat and shoes. Picking up my scrapbook of adventures I walk into the living room and sit next to the doctor, waiting patiently for my mum to come out. The woman's leg is shaking next to me and I can hear her hands rubbing together, I know what the anxiety can be like. I was bullied for it most of school. It stopped me from doing the most basic of things, like using the climbing frame. I wasn't scared of being hurt so much as worried that I would do something the others can use against me. It was a stupid thing looking back on it but when you're in the moment you never quite know what will happen, and that unknown scared me. I think that's how she's feeling now. She doesn't know how this is going to play out, she thinks that, no matter the solution we come up with, the outcome of this discussion will be the worst. I turn around to face her, legs crossed, and take her hands in mine. She needs to know I will be here for her.

"please, doc, I know things might not seem it but they will be alright. No matter what happens." I pull her into a hug because I know the contact will calm her slightly. "we will go through this together, and don't forget that. You have me as much as I have you. We can't have this radio silence between each other anymore." I hear a cough and I pull away from the embrace knowing that my mum has finished making us our drinks. I look at her, her face seems confused, but relieved. I know she couldn't hear the conversation as by the end I was whispering, just for my doctor to hear.

"so, you want to talk Yaz? Doctor?" My mum looks between us, and I know what she is going to say next, its only fair we get this out of the way. Its just frustrating that she only ever thinks I am dating people, she seemed to have stopped believing that I can have friends. "i want you both to know that if you are. Well. Seeing each other. I want you to know that I love the both of you. And that no matter who you date, Yaz, you don't have to be ashamed, because I'm your mother. And I will love you no matter what." I'm speechless, she didn't even ask. She just thinks that we are dating. Ever since I came out she has been doing this.