t w e n t y o n e

Dear Mark Lee,

I can't believe the day has finally come.

You're really leaving.

It felt like just yesterday we were sharing sour gummy worms on your grandma's porch.

Or you teaching me how to play twinkle twinkle on your very first guitar.

Or falling asleep in church together every Sunday morning.

You've been in my life for so long, I've began to lose track of all our memories together.

Every Easter, Halloween and birthday we would spend with each other's families.

Even when we went through that awkward phase when we thought each other were gross and stopped talking from 1st to 3rd grade.

But ever since 4th grade you've stayed by my side and never left.

From my parents divorcing, or when Ten first left home to pursue dreams similar to yours.

And although this all seemed to happen so quickly, I always knew you were destined for great things.

You deserve every opportunity granted to you.

You're my star.

I'll love you forever and always.

Love,
Melanie

-

I sealed the envelope with a heart sticker and applied a light spritz of perfume onto the front of it.

Tonight was the night of Mark and Haechan's farewell party. I had so many mixed emotions, but I gathered my things and headed to the shower. I took my time making sure that I was in the right mindset before even trying to do anything else.

As I stood in the shower, I let the hot water wash away all of my worries.

The steam wrapped itself all around me, reminding me of Mark's presence. It was warm, light, invigorating. My heart began to hurt just thinking about being with him.

I exited the shower and headed back to my room. I blowed dried my hair and lathered my body in lotion. Lastly I applied my makeup with ease while still trying to take my time.

After about an hour I was finally ready and got dressed. My stomach was forming knots thinking about how much I was going to miss both of them.

I ordered my Uber and waited on the edge of my bed. While I waited I watched a few of my friends' Snapchat stories in order to pass time.

Once the Uber arrived, I headed outside and got in immediately. My driver's name was Barry, he was a small old man with huge glasses.

Very adorable.

"Good afternoon young lady, may I ask where you're heading to dressed up like that?"

I smiled at his kindness, "My best friend and boyfriend are moving out of the country, so my friends and I are throwing them a farewell party"

Barry smiled into the rear view mirror and
began to speak again, "Ah young love,"

He paused before beginning again, "I remember when I had to leave my girlfriend at the time for the war back in '75, it was heartbreaking"