Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Shaking all the thoughts from his head, or trying to, at least, Louis placed his phone on his bed and sprung up from the mattress, making it let out its patented groan. He had already showered and brushed his teeth and pretty much done everything he needed to do in order to get ready for his date. All that was left was to get dressed.

He really didn't understand why Sam had to come over to 'help him'. Louis looked at himself in the mirror that hung on the back of his bedroom door. He had put on some sweatpants and a loose-fitting t-shirt, not wanting to overdress before the actual date and ruin it. He pushed his long hair back, so it tucked in behind his ears. It looked bad. Louis messed it up again and pushed it back and slightly to the side.

I really need to get a haircut, Louis thought, trying not to think about the mess on top of his head. Sighing silently, Louis went to his wardrobe and grabbed his white shirt along with a fashionable pair of black jeans before undressing himself and putting his good clothes on.

"Hey, Lou-Lou." Isaac's voice drifted through the wall just as Louis had begun buttoning his shirt up; it caught him a bit off guard and caused him to jump.

"Hey, hey," Louis responded, recomposing himself.

"What're you up to in there?" Isaac asked before hearing a thud on the wall.

No doubt Isaac had just rested his head up against it.

"Just getting ready," Louis responded. "Not really digging the homeless hair, though."

"I'm sure it's fine." Isaac chuckled. "As long as you shaved."

"I did. No more stubble for me."

"Ah, a shame. A moment of silence for our fallen comrade." Isaac and Louis let out a small laugh before they went silent. After a few seconds, Isaac broke it. "So, where are you going?"

"Surprisingly, on a date," Louis responded, finishing buttoning his shirt up and sitting on his bed's edge.

"Oh... awesome." Isaac seemed hesitant with his words, seemingly unsure of what to say. "Who's the lucky girl?"

Louis felt his heart rate pick up, and he hesitated for a few moments before replying to Isaac.

"There isn't one," Louis replied cautiously.

Usually, he wasn't worried about what people thought of his sexual orientation, but for some reason, with Isaac, he was terrified.

"Oh?" Isaac's voice drifted through once more after a moment.

Louis could hear the blood pumping around his ears, and he could almost feel a slight pain in his chest. His stomach seemed to be doing flips in his gut, as he tried to find the words to say.

"Yeah, I'm-I'm gay," Louis finally said, his gut still churning.

As soon as the words left his mouth, he was put into a deafening silence. Isaac didn't respond for a short moment, but, to Louis, it seemed like an eternity.

He wasn't really sure about what response he wanted to hear. Part of him wanted to hear Isaac say that he was gay too. Another part just wanted acceptance from his new neighbour. Either way, Louis didn't know what he'd do if Isaac stopped talking to him.

"Oh, that's cool. Sorry for assuming."

As soon as Louis heard those words from Isaac, a lot of weight seemed to lift from his shoulders. His breathing became steady, and he could no longer hear the blood in his ears. So, either he was calming down, or he was dying.