Chapter Forty

Chapter Forty

Isaac and Louis sat in the pizza shop for a while longer, talking about nothing in particular and just enjoying each other's company. A few other customers drifted in occasionally, some just picking up some pizzas and then leaving, while others stayed a while; none of them outstayed the two boys, however, who continued to spend time together in their booth.

The sunlight that once found its way into the shop had gradually disappeared, leaving the road only illuminated by streetlamps and shop fronts. When the pizza shop's lights flicked on, Isaac and Louis briefly stopped talking and looked outside, onto the empty street. They hadn't realised how long they had been sitting in the shop. Had to have been a few hours.

In the time that the two boys had been talking, Louis had noticed a lot about Isaac. He had been taking in everything that the other boy was saying and doing. He saw the way Isaac's face lit up when he talked about his family, mainly Sarah. Louis noticed the smile play on Isaac's lips when he talked about his hobbies, his favourite music, his ability to play the piano and the guitar; Louis saw a spark in his eyes and sensed a passion in his voice. It was something Louis could get used to.

It was also the little things Isaac did that drew Louis attention. The way he moved his hands when he spoke, or how he touched his lips when he felt nervous. How he threw his head back slightly when he laughed or looked down when he smiled. It was these things that made him so real to Louis. These things that differentiated the conversations they had through the wall with the one they were having now. The way Isaac spoke and the way he moved; Louis couldn't just hear Isaac's tone and how he was feeling; he could see it. He could see how Isaac looked at him when he spoke. When Louis talked about something, even it was something stupid or boring, Isaac encouraged him to continue.

Isaac actually cared. Of course, Sam, Sarah, and Kara all showed interest; they all paid attention. But this was bigger. This was something else, and Louis wasn't sure what it was.

Time continued to flow by, seemingly too fast for the two boys, until they were ushered out into the brisk night air, due to the fact the shop was closing. Isaac and Louis shivered as the wind brushed against their skin; neither of them had brought a jumper with them.

"Thank God I wore jeans today." Isaac chuckled, trying his best not to shiver too much.

"Yeah, I have to for work," Louis stated, looking up and down the street, suddenly realising that he wasn't too sure where they were. "I'd never thought I'd be thankful for that."

Isaac nodded. "If only they made you wear long-sleeve shirts too. You'd be all set." Isaac grinned and looked up at Louis. "God, I know you said you were tall, but I didn't think you'd be this tall."

"You're almost as tall as me."

"Yeah, but I'm already really tall, and here you are, what, a few inches taller?"

"Aw, do I make you insecure?" Louis joked and began walking down the sidewalk, trying to gauge if it was the right way or not.

"Totally." Isaac laughed before skipping slightly to catch up with Louis. "Nah, it's good. Should make hugging much easier for me."

"True." Louis chuckled, feeling blood rush to his cheeks. "You should see me hugging Kara. That's a nightmare for me."

"What is she, a foot and a bit shorter?" Isaac asked with a laugh.

"Something like that." Louis smiled down at Isaac as they walked side-by-side on the walkway.

The coldness he had felt before seemed to have been washed away by the warmth of being so close to Isaac.