13

i didn't sleep last night, memories of jason flooded my mind. i got out of my bed and showered and remembered i told daddy i'd go to his office for lunch today. it was only 10 so i had a couple of hours before i had to be there.

carm popped her head into my room. "hey girl, are you ok?" she asks.

"no." i slowly break down "jason's back, he's moving here," i tell her and she come over to hug me.

"it's ok," she tells me "jason doesn't have any power over you anymore and luke is a sweet guy," she says running her hand through my hair. i pull away from her and wipe my tears away. 

she leaves me alone and walks downstairs so i pull out my sketch pad and start drawing home, lots of mountains and nature. it calms me down a little.

i get a call while i'm drawing and see it's my dad, what does he want.

"he-"

"what the hell happened to you clare," he sounded angry.

"what are you talking about?" i asked.

"clare you're very dumb if you don't think i have people following you out there. i know your back to your old ways, selling drugs, getting in fights and did i hear right that you saw jason again. good to see you continually fucking everything up for me," he yells.

"none of this is on you," i tell him.

"maybe i should send you back to missouri or maybe i should just send to a different school that will teach you to respect me," he yelled again.

"dad what was the point of this call?" i ask him.

"what happened to you, clare you look bad," he says calmer.

"i got in a car crash," i lied. he scoffed.

"do you owe money to get the car fixed? you're so worthless," he said angrily.

"no."

"listen clare, you will stop all your bad habits. i'm trying to win an election here and you're not helping at all, understand?" he asked but didn't wait for my answer and hung up.

i sighed. does he really have people following me? he's so mental he thinks i'm gonna fuck up the election but he shouldn't even be running for governor. i look at the clock and it's 11:30, i should probably leave soon for luke's office.

luke's pov:

jason walks into my office with a smug look on his face. "hello, sir," he says and shakes my hand.

"hello, jason right?" i asked and he nods. i ask him the normal interview questions for a while but pay close attention to his body language. it shows that he's very cocky and expects to get what he wants.

all of a sudden clare walks through the door and her eyes lock in with jason. for the look on her face i can tell... she still loves him. i get angry and first but then i remind myself that this is what i wanted to know.

"jason? what are you doing here?" she asks quietly then looks at me confused.

"have you guys met before? he's interviewing for an internship here," i tell her and smile.

she looks down at the ground then walks up close to me and lays a hand lightly on my chest. "can we talk, privately," she whispered.

"jason, we will inform you of our decision later," i tell him and walk him to the elevator, leaving clare in my office.

"are you and clare dating?" he asks me hurt.

"yes, we're in love," i tell him. he walks into the elevator looking crushed. perfect. when i walk back into my office i see clare quickly wipe away tears.