17

our trip to greece felt so short since it was only one full day. now we're back on the plane headed home to north carolina.

when we get off the plane we're informed that luke's car is parked in the garage at the other side of the airport so we start our walk.

we stop at a coffee shop to get a little bite on our way when i overhear a conversation between two police officers.

"that's clare tonan, she's wanted right now i think. oh shit and she's with luke hemmings, i hate that man he fired me from his company for no reason." one of them says grumpily.

"luke i think we should leave," i tell him trying to get him away from the store.

"why are you not hungry?" he asks concerned.

"not right now, i just wanna get home." i tell him so he moves from the line. i make eye contact with the police as we leave but they're already making their way towards us. i get very nervous but i know what to do in this situation.

"clare tonan?" they ask when they reach us.

"yeah that's me. what is this about?" i ask.

"you're under arrest, anything you say or do can be used against you in the court of law," they continue to read me my rights as they handcuff me.

"where are you taking her?" luke asks. the officers don't answer him and just lead me out the airport to their car. luke follows behind trying to figure out where they're taking me.

the drive is short and they immediately put me in an interrogation room to be questioned.

"hello clare, im detective meyers. now i need you to tell me where you've been for the past couple of day," he demands.

"i went to greece with my boyfriend for vacation," i told them honestly. "what's this about? i know my rights you can't just keep me here for no reason," i tell them.

"clare we know you're a drug dealer." he says.

"i'm not, you have the wrong information."

"no i'm pretty sure we're correct on this one," he says.

"sir i'm not a drug dealer, but you only have 24 hours to find out whatever you want and then you're gonna have to let me go because i bet you have no evidence against me since i'm not a drug dealer." i know the law enough to get me out of certain jams.

"we got a tip that you were a drug dealer than hours later you fled the country on a last minute flight. that sets off some red flags here," he says. he studies my face to watch my reaction when he tells me this.

i tell him the truth about what happened but he continues to ask the same questions over and over again. eventually i ask for my lawyer and luckily luke got one for me.

they kept me for the full 24 hours before they had to release me since they didn't have any proof except an anonymous phone call which isn't enough to arrest me.

luke drove me home in silence. i could tell he was angry that my profession put me in jail for a day.

"thank you for getting me a lawyer," i say quietly.

"yeah no problem, i always imagined getting my fucking criminal girlfriend a lawyer," he says sarcastically.

"luke i'm not a criminal, i didn't do anything wrong to get in trouble." i know he's just angry because this was his exact reason for wanting me to quit.

"clare you just spent the night in jail, you're a goddamn criminal," he says coldly. we pull up behind our houses.

"do you wanna talk about this?" i ask him as he gets out of the car and walks to his door.

"no." he shuts his door behind him so i go into my house. carmen's waiting for me on the couch.

"oh my god, clare you got arrested," she says.

"yeah, did luke tell you?" i ask.

"no it's all over the news," she pulls it up on her phone, i guess someone at the airport took a picture of me getting arrested. it didn't look good, i still have some bruises that are visible in the picture and the article talks about my dad running for governor. he's gonna be beyond pissed when he sees this.

"fuck that's not good," i say.

"so what happened, did they catch us?" she asks.

"apparently someone called in a tip i'm guessing its the guys who keep jumping us. a little after that we left for greece so they assumed i was running from them. but we're good because they have no proof," i tell her.

"that's good but fuck, those guys went way to far on this one," she says clearly annoyed. they definitely did, being a snitch is fucked.

"yeah we gotta do something to get them back."

"yeah, but honestly if they're retaliating this hard then we're probably already hurting them. anyway how was greece?" she asks. my heart rushes, so much has happened since i was there.

"it was amazing and beautiful but luke's not too happy with me right now," i admit.

"because you almost got arrested?" she furrows her eyebrows.

"yeah, maybe i'll bake him cookies or something then take them over," i say going into the kitchen to look at the ingredients we have. i pull out the ingredients for peanut butter cookies and make them.

i love baking it's so much fun, plus you end up with good food. luke will have to forgive me if i bring him cookies.

after an hour and a half the cookies are ready and on a plate so i head to his house. i knock on his back door but no one answers. i pulled out the key he gave me and walked in to what seemed to be an empty apartment.

"daddy?" i call with no response. i walk into his room but he's not there. i really want to talk to him and it's already late so he'll probably be home soon.

i put the cookies on the side table and lay on the bed. slowly i drift off while waiting for him to come back.