.:Chapter Thirteen:.

'I fall in love with you every single day'

Rounding the corner on his way to the great hall for lunch, Severus lets out an Oof as a shorter body runs into his own. Stumbling backwards, he grasps the shoulders of the smaller person and stabilizes them both before looking down into familiar green-blue eyes. He takes a step back letting go of the other boy and notices the deep black bags that he hadn't seen since the day they had first met.

"I was just coming to find you, are we still on for tomorrow?" The brunet questions smiling even though his skin is back to a pale version of itself and his features are gaunt and sunken in.

"Yes," Severus looks away, reaching into his bag to grasp the notes from Tuesday, "Are you having any withdrawals? Urges?" He inquires as he passes over the writing filled sheets.

As he presses the parchment into his own bag, Cercius shakes his head, "Nope none of that, it's a bit inconvenient to be back to my usual sleeping schedule but I'll live".

They begin to walk the way that the Hufflepuff had been heading in the first place and the darker haired boy only remembers that he was on his way to eat when the other passes him a deformed bagel with blueberry cream cheese. He accepts the breakfast and breaks pieces off of it shoving them in his mouth as they stroll outside into the cold, November air. Pulling his robe tighter around him, he reminds himself to wear the coat he got last Christmas for their outing tomorrow.

It doesn't go unnoticed to him that his companion seems unbothered by the frigid temperature. Glancing over the thin dress pants and uniform shirt with the sleeves rolled up he pipes up in slight concern, "Aren't you cold?"

Cercius pulls his wand from its usual position half out of his bag and flicks it towards the taller teen in a practiced motion. Instantly the chill that had settled on him vanishes and is replaced by a comfortable warmth. Sliding his wand into his other hand, he pulls out a new cigarette pack and dips his head to grasp one betwixt his lips, "Warming charms are a life saver for the poor- er formerly poor, my friend".

The Slytherin nods watching the way the other boy leans his head back inhaling once the package and wand are put away. His throat constricts and his eyes, half lidded, seem almost aqua in the light of the afternoon sun. They stop at a small overhang looking down at the black lake and the shorter boy takes a seat on the frosted ground letting his feet dangle over the edge, barely grazing the dark water.

Severus wonders if this is what fallen gods look like in human skin. Broken and bent, yet still otherworldly and absolutely fucking breathtaking.