.:Chapter Sixteen:.

'And I thought you might be mine'

She finds him Sunday night in Astronomy Tower. He's got a half smoked fag dangling from his lips and his hands are still shaky where they sit in his lap. She joins him taking a seat and dangling her feet off the edge of the tower next to his and he offers her a cigarette without even really looking her way.

As she lights it and takes her first drag she finally speaks, "He told me what you did for him".

Maybe it's foolish of her to expect him to reply, but Lily waits in the silence anyway as he flick his finished reefer out into the field and grabs another. She doesn't call out his chainsmoking because honestly she thinks he probably needs the lull of nicotine and tobacco right now with the way his hands are still trembling. Breathing out a shock of smoke into the night she speaks again, "Why'd you do it?"

He takes the first drag of his smoke and looks up into the night, eyes tracing a consolation, "I did it because I'm the kind of imbecile who believes in love at first sight and the kind of person who knew Severus Snape wouldn't have survived that".

The redhead laughs without humor, "And you knew that you would?"

He chews the butt of his cig for a moment before he finally looks over at her, "My grandmother may have disowned my mum but I've known her since I was small, she isn't a kind woman".

Finishing off the death stick she flicks it out into the night, "And the courting thing, is that true?"

He nods and leans back so that he's laying in the floor. Neither of them speaks again for a long time. It's silent long after he tosses his finished menthol. When she stands to leave she halts at the door, "Don't hurt him, or I swear to god I'll torture in kill you in worse ways you can even think of," Lily breathes in and grasps the handle, "Yesterday will feel like child's play compared to what you'll have to face with me".

"I wouldn't dream of it," He rasps and the next part is so violently honest it's sobering, "And if I ever do, I better be able to hold you to that promise, Lily".

She goes with the thought that she never wants to hear her given name leave his lips again. She much prefers the playful nicknames he had used before. The way her name sounded from him there in that moment made her question greatly weather she should fear or respect the boy she previously thought of as just another happy-go-lucky Hufflepuff.