lareinedeslapins's Performance

In the Original Music category, lareinedeslapins performs their original piece "Alone"!

Interview Questions:

What inspired you to write this piece?

I wrote this piece a while ago, actually - back in my sophomore year of high school. There was no specific incident or anything that really inspired me to write this. It's based more off of a feeling that I have seen both myself and a lot of my peers face over the years. I haven't always been the best at making friends myself (I'm about as socially awkward as it gets, I'm afraid), and I know that's something a lot of people struggle with sometimes, too. People often get too caught up in their heads to realize that what they're looking for is right in front of them, and they get too scared to recognize that we're all just as scared as they are. I wrote this to try and reassure people, to try and remind them that they're not alone and that we all feel like that sometimes. There are others out there (myself included) ready and willing to be your friends.

What does music mean to you?

Music is everything to me. I am a freshman majoring in music right now in university, and it is something that I have consistently adored since I was small. Music can convey things that can otherwise be hard to talk about. Music can break language barriers. It means so much to me that it's honestly hard to put into words (hence why I put it into music and into compositions instead). Music brings light and understanding and joy and peace and everything to my world.

What do you love about performing?

What's there not to love? I love all of it - even the pre-show jitters. I love getting to work with and sing with other talented people. I love the exhilarating feeling of a job well-done. But most of all, I love getting to connect with others and getting to entertain and help others through my music and whatever other means that I can. If I can make even one person enjoy my music or smile by the end of a performance, then it is well worth it. If I can someday help others and change lives through my music, that would be a dream come true. The possibility of one day achieving that is why I truly enjoy performing. ...And the applause is always nice too, of course.

Who/what are your major artistic influences?

I'm a nerd, so while I used to love a lot of pop, I've grown away from it. Now, as a more traditional composer, my influences are choral composers such as Eric Whitacre and filmscorers like John Williams, as well as the composers and musicians I know and am friends with. As a singer-songwriter, though, a big inspiration of mine has always been Owl City, alongside some others over the years (The Script, The Fray, Stromae, Dodie, Tessa Violet, etc). ...I did have a period of about a year back when I was twelve where I convinced myself I would be Taylor Swift when I grew up...but shhh that's a secret.

Please give a big hand for lareinedeslapins!