3 Missy

Photo: Imagine Lydia, or Missy as Jake calls her, all done up for a special event.

Mood: swipe left and tap the media box above to listen to Nervous by Shawn Mendes.

Jake

When Zach brought me over to his group of friends, I couldn't hide my smile. Yep, Lydia was part of the crew; she was the only one I already met.

Since my first day at Gainsville High, I was curious about Lydia so I went to the library, hoping to find her again. Sure enough, I found her reading at the back of the library near the fire exit. She was soft-spoken and blushed when she smiled; I figured that she was an introvert.

We sat together in our social studies class with Mr. Stevenson, True to her word, she saved a seat for me in class, after we first met. Lydia kept her promise, and that was a quality I liked in a person.

When we discovered we were 'nearly neighbors' and that our families went to the same local church, she showed up at my doorstep and started hanging out at my pool. I felt lucky, being with her.

Lydia was an exotic-looking girl. Her mom was from the Philippines and her dad was Caucasian. Her dad was an older guy who married a young woman. They were a sweet couple, and you could see there was a lot of love and care there. Ben came across as an old, sweet dad who was a little on the naive side of things, but when you got to know him, you realized he was as sharp as a tack.

Lydia's mom was a tiger. A ferocious one. She was the one who set the rules, and she had a tight rein over Lydia, who didn't get out much. Over time, I came over as often as I could to keep her company on Friday and Saturday nights.

Lydia's long, dark, waist-length hair contrasted her light-tan skin and brown eyes. She had these amazing feline eyes with specs of green when you looked closely into them. Her dark lashes and naturally arched eyebrows accentuated those soulful eyes. What I loved most was her megawatt smile, framed by her heart-shaped face-it stole my heart. Whoa.

She carried a petite frame and even when she wore heels, she didn't meet me eye-to-eye. I could lift her off the ground with ease. She wasn't fragile though.

Lydia made corny jokes but I could live with that. I liked the fact that she was smart. She was in A.P. English and played an active role in our school's poetry club. The first time she read one of her poems to me, I noticed that she expressed her feelings with her soft, brown eyes.

Interestingly, she seemed unaffected by her blessings. She was different from some of the girls who exuded a lot of confidence. She made excuses for the compliments she was given, and she tended to drift into silence afterward. When I told her she was pretty, she blushed, and, for a fleeting moment, I noticed the sadness in her eyes. She didn't see how perfect she was to me.

What was her story? I wanted to know her.

"Jake!"

Reality kicked in when I heard Zach's voice. I was drifting, thinking of Lydia.

"Jake! Hey, c'mon, I'll introduce you to some pretty cool people," Zach said.

"Oh, yeah, sure." I smiled at Lydia.

I wanted to call her Missy because she kept leaving stuff all over my house. She kept forgetting her things. Missy sounded better than Messy. She was always missing her things.

Missy. I like that. My Missy, I smiled to myself.

I smiled at Missy and her group of friends. I was new at Gainsville High, but I already knew which crowd I belonged to. I looked forward to my final years of high school.

A/N: Please vote and/or comment if you like this chapter

A/N: Please vote and/or comment if you like this chapter. ⭐️